What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

braided oil line chaffing

[email protected]

Well Known Member
During a routine engine inspection with the top cowling off I noticed some significant chafing of a braided oil line with an unused flange on the oil cooler. When I fitted this line I anticipated that there might be some issue here but did not have the good sense to properly address it then.

After removing the lower cowling I was able to get a hack saw blade into position with my hands with enough travel to slowly work at removing the interference. I was pretty far into the cut when I thought to take some photos.

Here you can see where the line was grinding away at the flange with a couple of shots from the above and below.

img1084hn.jpg

img1085js.jpg

After cleaning up the cut with some emery cloth I added some RTV on the line farther forward on the flat of the oil cooler where the line passes.

img1090w.jpg

After putting everything back together I took a hangar row friend who is starting to have frustrations with his medical up for his first RV ride;
some of the best lines: "my plane won't do this!" and "man, that was fun... I think I almost wet myself!"

A short length of vinyl hose would fix the problem too.

Just split it and use ty-raps to secure it.

Those braided hoses can act like files under any vibration....:eek:

Stephen---I assume that the braid wasnt broken, or the teflon liner wasnt exposed. Yep---when stainless steel rubs on anything, it can be damaged, just like anything else.
Change the hose.
Tom

clamps

It's too late now, but I would have used a MS21919 clamps to support that line to the cooler.

Back