What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bow in VS-808pp

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
I was doing inventory on my emp kit last evening... Can someone tell me why this VS-808pp is so bowed?

[/IMG]

To insert a picture, you have to put it somewhere a web browser can find it. A lot of folks use Picasa and similar photo-hosting services. The instructions for posting pictures are here.

Thanks, Bob K.

The spar doubler is bowed due to the way Van's cuts it out. Just try to make it as flat as possible.

Just gently bend it the other direction to make it lay flat. They are all like this because they are stamped out and the press puts this curvature into the finished piece.

I too was concerned about the bent stab part. I contacted Vans and they said the thicker parts get curved by the punch process. So this is normal - no worry.

Just gently bend it the other direction to make it lay flat. They are all like this because they are stamped out and the press puts this curvature into the finished piece.

Since the instructions didn't say anything about it, I just riveted mine to the main spar without trying to straighten the bend. I ended up with only about 1/16" bow in the finished stab spar, which Van's builder support told me can easily be taken out when the VS is installed on the fuselage.

You are not alone!

Daniel, I called Vans about this long ago, and was told the same thing as others have indicated - just gently flex the bow in the opposite direction. How I did it was to put it up against the edge of my work bench and gently push on the top and bottom to work out the bow. Just keep moving it up or down along the edge of the work bench about 6-8 inches at a time and then check for level on the surface of your bench. Worked just fine.

From your post it looks like you attempted to include a pic. You seem to have duplicate beginning and ending IMG tags, and that is preventing the pic from displaying correctly. The line
[/IMG]
should be entered as
, but your pic will need to come from a web server such as tiny pic, etc. as previously mentioned.

So as an example, here is one my pics after uploaded it from my pc onto tinypic.com. I added an extra slash at the beginning so that you can see the format.

[/IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/34rhpn6.jpg[/IMG]

KPR

Last edited:
Back