What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boundary Waters Canoe Area / Ely MN

Noah

Well Known Member
Planning a return trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northern Minnesota in a few weeks, anybody know of any hangars that might be available for a few nights at Ely (KELO)? Any RVers up that way?

Wish I could go

I am jealous!! Used to go up there every Labor Day weekend until
We moved from MN in 1989. Have fun and take bug spray.

Minnesota Mosquitos are large enough that they carry transponders, so ATC will provide traffic separation for you...no worries!

Minnesota Mosquitos are large enough that they carry transponders, so ATC will provide traffic separation for you...no worries!
Ha ha, that is excellent!! Wonder if the skeeters have ADSB yet...:)

I am jealous!! Used to go up there every Labor Day weekend until We moved from MN in 1989. Have fun and take bug spray.

My first trip was in 1996 and it was epic. Took snorkeling gear and found all kinds of stuff at the bottom of lakes where canoes may have swamped- found a stove, a hatchet, all kinds of fishing gear, and what looked to be a 30 year old bottle of maple syrup - which was still good by the way! After that trip I vowed to go back every year, and I can't believe it has been 16 yrs since. Oh well, now that I have a time machine, I can go back more often!

Spoke to the airport manager this AM and he says there is a large 100X100 hangar he can fit me into but unfortunately no RVers up that way that he knew of...

Just returned yesterday from a week in BWCA, but we flew into Grand Marais (KCKC).

We just tied down on the ramp and told the folks the parking brake was not on so if it looked like hail, that it would be okay to move into a hangar. Turns out there were some T-storms coming and they did put us into the hangar (next to a beautiful Cessna 195 on floats). So if flying into Grand Marais rather than Ely is an option, I think you'll have hangar options.

-Jim

P.S. First time for us in BWCA...fishing was okay, the experience was great!

P.P.S. Make sure to have one of these tick keys...couple dozen total among the four of us.

Back