What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom skins riveting around flap bracket

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Well I have searched but not found discussion on this. I am needing someone to tell me a good technique for driving the rivets that surround each flap bracket on the bottom inboard wing skins for my RV-14. The rivets sit very close to the flap bracket (looks like slightly better than .25 inches) and my mushroom swivel head rivet set just doesn’t make good contact on the rivet head. We tried a back riveting set but it didn’t turn out too great either. How did you folks manage to drive those rivets in such a tight spot?

There’s a discussion on sb16-03 in the rv14 WIKI page 22 of 119.

The bottom line is use a cherry rivet or except a misshaped rivet. That is from the mother ship.

Wiki link bellow.

Get the right set.

This works:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flushset1.php

For these few rivets I just made a tool from a piece of 0.125” aluminum plate, perhaps 1”x 3/4”. Drill a #30 hole in the plate, counter sink on side, On the non-countersunk side insert a 1/8” 470 (round head) rivet that is just longer than the plate thickness. Drive the rivet so that the shop head fills the counter sink. File/buff as needed to have a smooth surface. Put a piece of clear packing tape on this side. Drive the rivets by taping this plate over the rivet head, then use your long round head rivet set on the rivet head side of the plate.

Carl

This is how I did it. Like any time you use this set, it must be perfectly flat against skin. Two person job. One hand on gun, index and thumb on mushroom set where it contacts skin. If you don’t feel comfortable with this method, you can try using a piece of aluminum 1/8” x 1” x couple inches long flat bar taped over rivet and drive on top of that. Mark rivet locations on aileron bracket so you’re centred over each rivet. Flat bar should have well radius edges against skin.
20230614_085643.jpg

20230614_085752.jpg

C Set for Back Riveting

I bought these many years ago, used, at Sun N' Fun. I love them. They are great for back riveting in very tight spaces.

20221112-142751.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back