What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom skins and wingtips

MTBehnke

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to the point where I'll have both wings, except for the bottom skins, complete. I'd like to get both the empennage and wingtip fiberglass work complete before moving on to the fuselage. Appreciate any suggestions on timing.

Is there any reason to hold off on riveting the bottom skins? I've already taken care of the Gretz mount and have the holes for the wiring conduit drilled. I also plan to add a Trutrack servo, but understand that can be done with the skins on.

If there is a reason to wait on the bottom skins, can the wingtip fiberglass work be done with the bottom skins cleco'ed in place?

fiberglass work

Keep in mind the fiberglass work will eat your tools, I did my wing tips
while working on the wings, bad idea, also its best to setup the tip ribs
when you have your alierons set to get the end of the tip aligned in
trail with the alierions trailing edges.. it could save doing it twice if you
don't have things setup properly.. just my opinion but I would wait,
if your going to put in an autopilot , please put the servo mount in
now, I figured I would wait till I had the money.. bad idea so now I have
to the servo in the wing tip.. might not be a bad idea there but I wished
I had put the mount in before the last wing skin was installed.. also
pitot tubing , wire runs , conduit ect.. plan out your wire needs
and tip lighting now.. If your going to be waiting on the fuse parts
you might try doing it but get things lined up properly.. and don't
try to put the servo mount after the skin is on..

Danny..

Last edited:
I have seen a few guys add the Tru-trak later (after the outboard panel is on) but there really isn't a good reason to close it up until everything is inside once and for all. I clecoed my lower skins in place and then finished the tips up. A few months later I had the $$ for the servo so bought that and installed it with ease since I could simply uncleco the outboard bottom. The added room to work with when installing the servo is really worth it...but it "can" be done with the lower tip installed.

Doug, 90116 finishing

Back