What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom Rudder cap interference

PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm having trouble fitting the lower rudder cap on my 9A. I've pretty much got the cut done,but when I put it on the rudder the front "fingers" that go over the rudder spar rub on the fuse sides near the end of it's travel.

The rod end bearings are adjusted per the plans, and I know I can deviate from those dimensions some, but it seems like the situation would be better with a lesser dimension rather than a greater dimension. This presents a problem then because it appears the rudder will interfere with the VS skin then.

Anyone else had a problem here or some ideas?

Rudder fairing

Yeah, mine rubbed there too, more on one side than the other. I realized that the primary problem was it still hung down too far. The nose of the fairing was slightly below the bottom rr corner of the fuse. When I cut both sides (all the way along both sides) to let the fairing sit up higher, the problem almost went away. I got it close enough I decided to leave the small final adjustments to the Last Gasp work items before she flies. Got 'er close and moved on. :D

I'm having trouble fitting the lower rudder cap on my 9A. I've pretty much got the cut done,but when I put it on the rudder the front "fingers" that go over the rudder spar rub on the fuse sides near the end of it's travel.

The rod end bearings are adjusted per the plans, and I know I can deviate from those dimensions some, but it seems like the situation would be better with a lesser dimension rather than a greater dimension. This presents a problem then because it appears the rudder will interfere with the VS skin then.

Anyone else had a problem here or some ideas?

You can use a hand seamer to readjust the bend angle on the rudder spar flanges at the bottom (the portion overlapped by the rudder bottom). Adjust the flanges so they fit the natural shape of the fwd end of the fairing. This will prevent the fairing from being spread apart by the spar.

Adjusting Flanges

Thanks, guys. After alot more studying last evening, I was hoping someone would say it was alright to adjust the flanges. It will only take a little.

Thanks again.

Back