What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom Fuse Skin / Wing Overlap

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Wings mounted, and I am prepping all connections. I've already backdrilled the holes for the fuse to wing skin attach points. In looking at drawing 38 (below), it appears they have you add another hole aft of the rear wing spar on the bottom skin. What dimensions have people used, or did you just split the difference between the last two rivets? Can't seem to find anything in the plans.

28bzl7p.jpg

THanks,
Scott
7A

Scott,

I just did this recently. You're talking about the aftmost hole, in between the rear spar attachment and the flap hinge. It's the top hole in this picture:

P1010029%20(Small).JPG

You won't find any dimensions because there's actually a pilot hole already in the wing skin at that point. You can see it in this picture that I took back when I was riveting the bottom wing skins on, if you look real close. It's in the lower left corner of this picture, just below the little "dent" in the blue vinyl:

100_5684%20(Small).JPG

Before you put the wings on, did you measure and mark a line back from all those holes in the wing skin? You can see the lines I drew in this shot, again if you look close. From the reference mark I made, about 3" if I recally, you just extend the line onto the lower fuselage skin once the wings are on, mark the 3" point and drill. It worked great.

P1010040%20(Small).JPG

I hope this helps. If you forgot to mark that line, you may have to pull the wing to mark it and do it again. Not a big deal, hopefully. You'll have to take the wings off anyway to deburr, dimple and install all those nutplates.

Thanks Bruce. Interestingly, my wing skins do not have that hole. Based on your picture, however, it looks like it is right about halfway betwwen the final two rivets on the skin.

I wonder if that was a change to the kit at some point...I'm curious if others have found a hole here?

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks Bruce and Arnie. For what it's worth, my skin definitely didn't have the hole. I appreciate the confirmation on distance, as I ended up drilling it there based on my previous estimate of half-way between the last two rivets.

Thanks again.
Scott

Back