What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom cowling

Flyer68

Well Known Member
I am attempting to install the bottom engine cowling, with the oil cooler in place, for the first time. It looks like a formatable task. I tried it w/the lines installed to the cooler and that was a bust.......any ideas on how you guys did it? Can it be done with the cooler mounted in the cowling first?

Bill

I don't know if it is related to your difficulty or not, but the KAI recommends having the hose connections at the cooler loose at initial installation.

Install the bottom cowl and let the hoses naturally position where they want to be.
Carefully remove the cowl without disturbing the clocking of the hoses on the cooler fittings.
Tighten the hose ends without changing the hose clocking/position.
After doing this a bottom cowl can usually be just lifted into place and have the cooler just about drop into place on the cowl. If not, a minor adjustment can usually make it so it does.

oil cooler install

The hose routing is per the dwg. Left alone, the oil cooler hangs sideways, the end with the hose to the oil tank is high. It sets against the muffler, but will probably be ok if I can get it mounted in the lower cowl.
I will give it another go today and see what happens. Not a happy camper.

Sounds like you are having a hard time with this. You might want to try fitting it with the oil cooler removed.:confused:

cowling

We are going to try again using the advice of "2002," maybe we were doing something wrong. We learned a little the first time and maybe we can now get it on. Here's hopin'.

Besides leaving the two hose connections on the oil cooler slightly loose, do the same with the hose connection to the front of the engine. This will allow that hose to take a natural shape.

Not sure this is your problem but - -

I put the hinge wire in on the left side only. I pry the right side out a bit so I can get my arm in and under the cooler to lift it up high enough to get it to pop into position, then on from there.

Here's another trick to try. Loop a piece of safety wire around the bottom of the cooler, and position it so you can grab both ends through the cooler opening in the cowl. Use the wire to maneuver the cooler so it will drop onto the studs. Before you tighten it pull the wire out.

bottom cowl

Done Deal! Thanks to the help I rec'd here, it's done! Thanks to:
Dave12, RVBuilder 2002, RF Schaller, JB Pilot, BigJohn! I used a little of every suggestion, at least, and it went comparatively smooth.
Thanks again guys.

Bill

Back