What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom Cowl Intake Baffel

Geico266

Well Known Member
After 500 hours I need to replace the worn out baffel that transitions inlet air into the air box. It looks simple enough but I cannot find any info the plans Section 47. I tried to replace it once but it appears that after 500 hours the air filter box may have shifted an 1/8" or it was never centered to begin with. I did not build the plane.

Does anyone have good pictures of what the baffel should look like?

What sections is this covered in the plans?

Does the baffel transition from the outside of the inlet to the inside of the air box?

I found it!

Its the FAB Filtered Box Installation instructions.

Should be interesting to see if there is any MP improvement.

Last edited:
Here is how I did it.

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG
[/IMG]

It's a little different from the plans but installing the bottom half outside and the upper half of the baffling inside allows you to flip the bottom back for lower cowl installation.
An aluminum doubler was installed to force the baffling material to hold the inlet shape. My previous RV showed no sign of wear and tear after 450 hrs of flying.

Thanks! Those pictures are very clear! I was wondering if there was a better way.

Is that the final cut? Is the bottom cowl hard to put on?

Last edited:
One Man Job

The cowl is very easy to put on and is a one man job.
The key is the baffle that flips back so you can raise the cowl almost straight up. The distance between fiberglass and fiberglass is about a half an inch.
And yes that is the final cut, although that extra material on the upper side could be trimmed off.
My cowl has been on and off what seems like a hundred times to make final
trim and fit adjustments but its no trouble at all.
I had the very same set up on my RV-8 and it worked beautifully and no regrets whatsoever.

How to

Larry, how do you get the bottom rubber flap back in place once you put the cowl up? I would have to modify mine slightly but mine is definitely not a one man job.

The rubber flap on the bottom has a natural tendency to be in the "normal"
position.
I use a flat, slightly curved piece of aluminum stock and poke it forward.
You can reach in from the bottom cowl exit.
A little vibration would also return it to its natural position in case you forget to flip that lip forward after cowl installation.

Back