What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

botched baffel holes?

Jeff R

Well Known Member
Well, today I drilled out the holes that attached the T902 baffels to the tank attach brackets (T912). I didn't notice until I was all done and went back to deburr the holes that most all of the holes in the baffle were enlarged. A 9/64th drill bit would easily fit, and a 5/32" came close.

Ugh!

The holes in the brackets are fine, but I guess as I was drilling them out, using the baffle holes as a guide, the bit chattered a bit.

Should I drill them all out to 5/32 and use larger rivets (maybe even pop rivits, as they would be easier to install???), or maybe add a backing strip of aluminum, as seems to often be a suggestion to enlarged holes, or bite the bullet and order new baffel skins? I guess now that the brackets are drilled, I could use those as a guide to match-drill a new set of baffels.

Sorry for all these questions of late!

Jeff, don't feel too bad, I botched my baffles too. I drilled them wrong. I ordered a new set from Vans and am much happier now. The good news is that they are really cheap. Make sure to call in the order and have them ship via Express Mail...you will be ready to install by this weekend.

Talked to Van's...

I talked to Van's and they said I could simply add in some extra pop rivets and all would be fine. The brackets are not really structural and don't see a lot of force.

Back