What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose X Headset Low Hissing Is this Normal?

johnthorpe

I'm New Here
On turning on the Bose X headset there is a very low Hissing sound.
I have checked that the TriPort Openings and Inner Screen are clean and undamaged. Also, checked that the earcup cushion is properly positioned over my ears and undamaged.
Have just acquired this secondhand headset which is in excellent condition and manufactured in 2006. It has new batteries.
Is this very low hiss acceptable as part of the ANR function Or should I be concerned please?
Thank you John

They Should Not Hiss

On turning on the Bose X headset there is a very low Hissing sound.
I have checked that the TriPort Openings and Inner Screen are clean and undamaged. Also, checked that the earcup cushion is properly positioned over my ears and undamaged.
Have just acquired this secondhand headset which is in excellent condition and manufactured in 2006. It has new batteries.
Is this very low hiss acceptable as part of the ANR function Or should I be concerned please?
Thank you John

My pair does not have a hiss. Yours shouldn't either. Call Bose, they can probably fix them for you. Not an uncommon problem in most headsets BTW, but not the Bose or the Zulu models. If they were DC's or lower Lightspeed's or Telex's I would tell you to live with it. But the Bose should not hiss.

HC

Are you sure it's not the intercom doing this? My Bose X's are quiet by themselves, but when connected with a PS Engineering PM3000 intercom, I can hear a small amount of hiss when on the ground, before engine start. Once everything is running I can't hear it anymore since the hiss is so faint to begin with.

My pair does not have a hiss. Yours shouldn't either. Call Bose, they can probably fix them for you. Not an uncommon problem in most headsets BTW, but not the Bose or the Zulu models. If they were DC's or lower Lightspeed's or Telex's I would tell you to live with it. But the Bose should not hiss.

Sorry to disappoint.............

But our Telex Stratus 50 digital and Stratus 30; along with our PSA 8000B intercom...............don't hiss either.. ;)

L.Adamson

Another thought

You didn't mention if you are still building; testing in an existing plane, etc; however, if you are building and operating with a battery of lower voltage, the PM3000 will emit a low hiss.

I had this problem with mine as the battery got older and voltage dropped below about 12V during wiring. When I got a new battery, the problem went away entirely.

You didn't mention if you are still building; testing in an existing plane, etc; however, if you are building and operating with a battery of lower voltage, the PM3000 will emit a low hiss.

I had this problem with mine as the battery got older and voltage dropped below about 12V during wiring. When I got a new battery, the problem went away entirely.

Will do the same thing if using a battery charger for panel power.

Back