What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BOSE or ZULU?

Moura

Well Known Member
Want to purchase a set of headset and am not sure which is best, lightspeed zulu or bose. It will be panel powered. Is there a best one or just a matter of opinion?

Thanks

I've used both.

Zulu wins....in price, comfort and sound levels.

Last edited:
Want to purchase a set of headset and am not sure which is best, lightspeed zulu or bose. It will be panel powered. Is there a best one or just a matter of opinion?

Thanks

The wife and I own two Bose and one ZULU. She likes the BOSE best. I have a very slight preference for the Lightspeed. With my set-up the BOSE sets seem to cancel some intercom white noise a bit better. Music sounds better to me over the ZULU. The Zulu seems to stay attached to my noggin a bit better during loops. The Bose may be a tiny bit more comfortable on a long day of flying. Battery life seems to be a bit better with the ZULU. It is a virtual tie for us. Both are great headsets.

A while back someone posted a problem with their BOSE ANR cutting in and out. Mine did that a couple of times and I'm here to tell you it will drive you crazy if it happens. I never found the source as it happened very infrequently. Somebody posted a reply that it was probably cell phone interference and I intend to check that out if it ever happens again. I don't think all cell phones do it, though.

I had a Lightspeed QFR set that I used for passengers. It broke when a Young Eagle tried to spread the earcups apart during very cold weather. I used their "trade up" program to buy the ZULU. It is much more robust than the less expensive Lightspeeds. Now my old non ANR DC Clarks are used for passengers. They work like a TIMEX and just keep on ticking.

I've never used zulu but I really liked the bose in the 206 before I sold it. If you decide to go with bose I have a pair for sale here. I've decided to go with the halo's to get another inch of headroom in the -7.

So my story.... I bought a pair of Bose X from Pacific Coast Avionics at Oshkosh 2 years ago, but found that they just didn’t do the job in my RV-7 which is a very high noise environment. I suspect that the passive capability wasn’t enabling the ANR to keep up. A buddy had a set of Zulus so we did a side-by-side comparison on a flight and I found that Zulus had much better ANR capability, probably due to the additional passive capability. I found the Bose X to be slightly better in sound quality, a little better in comfort, but a significantly less in noise cancellation ability. After trying the Zulu in flight, I made a run down to Oregon and was lucky enough to have Pac Coast Avionics swap out the Bose for the LS. So chalk up another happy Zulu customer.

I've flown to and from Oshkosh from Seattle area and found the Zulu's to be comfortable enough for some long days in the cockpit. If the noise environment wasn't so bad in the RV, maybe the Bose would be fine, but the Zulu seemed to do a better job in that environment.

I have a Zulu and 3 Bose's in the -10

...and I get to use the Zulu if my wife's not along...then she insists on the Z.

If I had to do it over again...Zulu's for sure, plus they have a Bluetooth input receptacle.

Best,

I've only used the Zulu's but I previously asked the same question. I haven't been disappointed. I bought them used. But I will give two thumbs up for their customer service. I recommended the case come with a strap or handle and it turns out they had already upgraded their cases and sent me one 'no charge'. I also didn't get the ipod and phone cord accessories from the 2nd hand seller. They shipped me them no charge. Even though I didn't buy directly from them or from an authorized dealer. Wow. I was pleasantly surprised so when it comes time to buy again... I'll buy from them and recommend any time.

They do have a pay as you go method. It's a substantial down payment and then a pay by the month all with no interest.

I think you have to try them both

I had one Bose and one Zulu, my wife preferred the Bose and I liked the features of the Zulu but I did not like the clamp pressure and the top of the headset is thicker than the Bose which reduced the clearance with the canopy (6ft 3in and -7 slider). I ended up selling my Zulu to a very happy Pierre and bought a slightly used Bose here on VAF. I had the Bose problem of what appeared to be intermittent operation and in my case it was either the earcup coming off the headset or in some cases when you move your head into a position where the -7 cockpit noise seems to overwhelm the mike noise gate.
I had to adjust the noise gate on the SL30 to compensate for the noisy environment.
Net result is I do not think you can go wrong with either choice but personal comfort and preference may cause you to select one over the other so try them both.

Two more cents. I have both a Bose and Zulu. I prefer the Zulu, wife prefers the Bose, so we're happy. Both are good headsets. I like the bluetooth for the Zulu. Wife likes the fit of the Bose over the Zulu. I suggest trying both and deciding for yourself. I'm pretty sure that both have a "try it before buy it" kind of program.

greg

Bose vs Zulu

I have three Bose X headsets and one Zulu. They both are good, however I have found that you can make a dip-switch setting on the Zulus that adds some high tones to the audio. This has proved to be helpful to me. As I age, I have lost some of the ability to hear the higher tones. You older pilots know what I mean.

I've tried both but definitely prefer and own the Zulu. The Zulu provides a more quiet ride for me, also the Zulu completely cover my ears where the Bose sits on top of them, perhaps I just have big ears :). I'm not familiar with a panel powered configuration but does that mean you would not be able to use them in an airplane that did not provide panel power? I have also heard about electrical noise problems using panel powered headsets.... just something to consider.

A Headset Isn't Really Enough

I have come to the conclusion that a good headset is not really enough to fully protect your hearing. I am starting to use earplugs under the headphones for better protection. I decided

I have a Zulu and Bose, and the collective opinion of the copilot and myself is that the Bose are more comfortable and the Zulu quieter. The Zulu have audiophile quality sound in my opinion; far better than the Bose.

I am curious to see what the news Bose headsets will be like, and have my fingers crossed for an upgrade program.

Hans

Lots of opinions here. I think you should try them both first. I've done that, and for me, comfort is the most important consideration. Nothing I've tried is as good as the Bose, including the Zulu. It's a personal preferrence thing. They both cancel noise. Is one better than this than the other?? Probably, but for me, they are all pretty good. Comfort rules, and for me, the Bose is the best. If you need two, maybe you should buy one of each so that you can get experience with both and then delegate the one you don't like as well for your passenger. I have had panel powered Bose (actually the same two headsets - I didn't sell them with the RV-6), and have never had any noise problems and I don't ever have to worry about running out of or buying batteries. I like that. Can't use them on someone else's airplane, but that makes them less 'thief-worthy'. Good luck.

Last edited:
I took my wife headset shopping at OSH last year. I've got a Zulu and love it (have also flown with Bose). She tried both in sound booths and liked the Bose better. It depends a little on the shape of your face and jaw. With the Zulu on there was a slight air gap around the lower part of her jaw that didn't exist with the Bose - guess which was quieter.

Try them both before making a decision.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

WOW, I was pretty confident bose would win hands down and I couldn't be more wrong. I will definitelly have to try them before purchasing them but am already leaning towards ZULU panel power.

Thank all for the responses

Moura

Back