What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose headsets problem (keep dying)

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I am having an issue with my Bose headsets that I think some how is related to my radio/intercom system. I have a Garmin 340 intercom, Garmin 430 and SL40 radio.
The problem is that the headsets stops working (Mic actually works but can not hear from it) and Bose has sent me replacement mic/wire and that has fixed the issue each time, so, the problem is some where with the wire/mic and not the headset itself. This has happened four times since I started flying (about three months ago). Also the headset have never died in the air or while working, only when I have turn the engine on and then the avionics, just to find out that my headset is dead. It has also happened on both pilot and co-pilot side. I am wondering if there is an over voltage some how that it burns it but I don't think there is any "real" voltage goes to them, right?

I am just wondering if any body else has had any similar issue or knows of ways that can be prevented.

I am very careful to shut all avionics off before shutting the engine off and turn the avionics on after the engine is on.

Would appreciate any thoughts or feed backs.

Regards
Mehrdad
RV7A - flying

Are your headphone jacks insulated from ground? Just a thought. There are fiber washers for doing this. I think I got mine from Stein or B&C.

Are your headphone jacks insulated from ground? Just a thought. There are fiber washers for doing this. I think I got mine from Stein or B&C.

Yes, they are. But the legs that get soldered to are near the airframe. Would that cause the headset to go bust if they for some reason get grounded?
It is one area that I am going to inspect to see how much of clearance I am from the ground

Thanks
Mehrdad

Back