What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose A 20 Headsset

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Posted this on RV12 site and Joe Gores suggested I put it here as well:

Learned something new over the weekend. This may have been on before, but I don't recall seeing so for some who like the Bose A20 this may be helpful info. Installed the A20 noise reducing headset in June. A blessing in any airplane and the RV12 is no exception. If you like a quiet cockpit this is the way to go. Problem was it ate batteries (2 sets in 4 mos.). I called Bose and was asked to check and test auto battery shutdown, and was advised that certain aircraft are wired in such a fashion that auto shutdown may not work as the Bose unit may think aircraft is powered up. As directed I made certain auto shut off was turned on, turned on the Bose battery switch and waited to see if it went off in 2 to 7 min. With headset disconnected from jackplugs on the airplane. It shut down in 6 min. I then connected jacks to the RV12 plugs and repeated test. It failed to shut off in 12 min. so I stopped test. Note: nothing on the airplane was energized. I repeated the same test with the set connected to Billy Water's RV4, and shutdown took place in 6 min. Conclusion is apparently the RV12 wiring is one of those that fool the Bose gear into thinking airplane is powered up.
Now all this is subject to scrutiny by you electrical wizards out there (Joe, for ex.) so what gives?
It's no big deal as all you have to do is manually press the battery off switch when shutting down airplane avionics, master, etc. I just wanted to share this with any who have, or may try the Bose set.

Dick Seiders 120093

Back