What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bored...Waiting for wings

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So I've complete my emp kit and have to wait 2 more weeks for my wings to arrive. What do I do with all my free time?? Ha! I ordered my Safeair1 static kit and will do that up. I've already mounted all the fairings I could (no room to add HS fairing right now), drilled the elevator horns, etc... Not drilling the HS to the tailcone until final mounting of the feathers.

Just doing research on options, electronics and mods. I'm addicted to building.

Catch-up

Catch up on all those other things around the house that need attention! Then when the wings do show up you can spend all your time on them. :)

Things to do in the tailcone if not already done

and some of these may not even be on your wish list but here is what I completed before my tailcone was "finished". Strobe power supply mount on LH side, GRT/Garmin AHRS mount to left of battery/bellcrank, TT pitch servo, 18 ga pos light wire, strobe cable, drill 5/16" hole for strobe cable/pos wires, vor rg-400, vor ant doubler on bottom, rudder cables ran to F-1007 bulkhead, rudder cable fairings, magnetometer 3 piece mount behind F-1007 high in tailcone, rear seat belt cables, static kit, RH strobe mount from Van's for ELT and pitch trim servo wiring d-sub connector. I did everything in the tailcone so that I would not have to climb back in there once it was mated to fuselage. I installed aux battery/contactor/relay/wiring to right of main bat last week so just about ready to install the cabin cover/top skin. I will have to level and mount ahrs/magnetometers later this year but that is it I hope.

Last edited:
Some good ideas there. I'm currently working on the SafeAir1 static kit but some of those are things I could do. Thanks for the suggestions!

An aux battery power receptacle...

....to get jumped off when the battery is dead. At the last condition inspection, we installed a receptacle under the belly, near the pilot side edge, making it very acccessible. Now is a good time.

Best,

Back