What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boost pump on for start and priming?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Kinda of a dumb question...

Does the boost pump need to be on in order to:

1. start the engine?

2. use the electric primer Van's provides in their catalog?

Trying to finalize the layout of my panel switches. Knowing the answer to both will help me.

Thanks.

What Mel said!

For wiring purposes, I wired the primer solenoid into the electric fuel pump switch. Since it HAS to be on to feed fuel, and the solenoid requires very little current, it saves an extra breaker.

Only if you're interested in consistent performance

[O-360-A1A, Hartzell C/S Prop, LASAR Ignition] Set throttle, mixture and prop, turn the aux pump on, charge the system (look at fuel pressure gauge), press momentary primer solenoid switch (I count five seconds), turn on the starter, - ROAR - every time.

Bob Axsom

full cycle throttle once, set 1/4 throttle, mixture full, turn the boost pump on, wait to pump to quite, press momentary primer solenoid switch and count to 3 (if cold count to 5), wait (count to 10), turn key, starts every time warm or cold.

Be aware that every engine starts differently. Mine uses 1 shot of prime the first start of the day. After that, don't touch anything but the starter button.
I can't imagine starting with 25% throttle.

My throttle is roughly 25% at start as well

My throttle is roughly 25% at start as well but that's just an initial point. I have my hand on the throttle and as soon as it starts I adjust for smooth moderate idle. As Mel says of course all systems are different and that includes fuel line routing. Mine has a several inch vertical rise before the engine driven pump and I never prime my engine when restarting after a short stop juch as for fuel. I think the boost pump is essential but the electric primer is an option for you to chose.

Bob Axsom

Back