What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boost pump circuit protection location

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Building an RV-14A , IO-390 with mechanical engine driven pump and backup electric boost pump. I had full intentions of mounting the circuit breaker directly in front of the pilot on the main electrical buss. But I cannot count past four and missed a breaker (should have installed four). Problem is now I have other switches/breakers with larger holes than the breaker I need to add. My first choice would be to move the boost pump to the fuse block I have mounted just below the panel just forward of the fuel valve that is in the tunnel (One of Van's RV-14's has a panel mounted at the same location) . I can see and access the fuses while flying easily.
I have the boost pump installed to the breaker now but need to steal this breaker for the flaps which I need to have quick access to in case of problem with runaway (I do have a flap controller installed but you never know).
My reasoning on moving the pump protection is there is still a switch on the stick to control it. It's a back up system that gets tested constantly so you would have to have both pumps fail at the same time in order to need to replace a fuse in an emergency, and it is still an option that would only take a few seconds to do.
What do you think, am I overthinking this or missing something?
Thanks Ron

If you are asking if it is OK to protect a fuel pump with a fuse instead of a circuit breaker, I see nothing wrong with doing that. 500 RV-12s are flying with fuses and no circuit breakers. My fuel pump (40105) is protected with a 5 amp fuse and has never blown. If a fuse blows, you are better off waiting until on the ground before troubleshooting.

Some how I missed this reply, sorry. Yes I was asking if a fuse would be OK. Not so much as in an electrical protection aspect but in a inflight replacement or reset option. Resetting a breaker would take a second but replacing a fuse might take two minutes. If Van's uses fuses in the RV-12 , I should be OK in the 14.
Thanks

Back