What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bolts for Mid Fuse to Aft Fuse Mating

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
Did you guys use your "close tolerance" bolts, nuts and washers when mating together the mid fuse and aft fuse, using the spacers?

If not, what did you use?

It seems to me, that once these pieces are together with the spacers in place, they will be together for a while, until the wings are permanently mounted. I want the best fit, so it would seem that the close tolerance bolts provides that, but then again, they are costly to replace them with new ones later, should they get scuffed or nicked...

Hardware Store!

No -- I used cheap 3/8" hardware store bolts. I would not use the close tolerance bolts for anything other than final wing attachment.

Hardware store...

Hardware store 3/8" bolts per the plans. I chucked them in the lathe and polished them a bit. Used 2 on each wing per plans and it worked fine.

FYI: You may want to chamfer the ends of the bolts a bit, it makes the installation easier especially near the spar webs. It is easy for the bolt to get "hooked" on the spar web and push it away from the spar, making it difficult to push the bolt through. You can also damage the web if you start smacking the bolt with a mallet...:eek:

Back