What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bolt size for 7a nose gear

Wayne

Well Known Member
I am totally fustrated as I am going through my drawings and plans and cannot find the reference where you match drill the nose gear into socket at the top of the motor mount (through the firewall).

I need the bolt size so I can have the right drill bit for next weeks annual when I pull the old nose gear off and match drill the new hole in the new gear to take care of the SB.

BTW-if any of you have done the match drilling, I would appreciate your experiences to help make this a quick and accurate job (is that possible??)

Thanks for the help

The hole is 5/16", but I had my new gear leg matched drilled by Van's. It came out perfect. I just reamed slightly with a 7A adjustable reamer and used a close tolerance bolt for a nice snug fit.

Roberta

NoseGear.JPG

I would not suggest doing this yourself

I would not suggest doing this yourself unless you are an accomplished machinist and have the appropriate tools. ie a mill, dial indicator, precision level and the experience and knowledge on how to use all of them correctly. If you do, there is a link on www.langair.com on how to do it yourself. It pretty much spells it out for you.

I have been selling the close tolerance NAS6605 bolts for these, you want a close tolerance fastener and a close tolerance hole, otherwise you will need to go oversize to repair later.:eek:

There was a big thread on this a few months ago titled "Nose gear creaking"

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=17871

Tom
I have a 9A and have already reamed my nose gear to .3115 . Is there a NAS close tolerence bolt that will work with this size or do I now have to go oversize.

Thanks
Oldgeezer
RV9A

Two questions:

1. The plans on the page provided above call for a 1" hole. But the plans for the various holes on the firewall (I can't remember which drawing number it is, but it's the one that also lists the various cable holes etc. I presume it's DWG 19) calls for a 3/4" hole. Which is it?

2. Why is the bolt on the bottom? Isn't that counter to usual practices?

Plug & Bolt

Bob,

I saw the same discrepency. I found the plug that came with my FWF kit and it was for a 3/4" hole. That's what I drilled.
Also, I drilled my hole exactly per the plan coordinates and drilled the engine mount as about as exact as could be expected. The bolt inserts upwards from inside the cabin, but the head of my bolt hangs ever so slightly on the edge of the hole. I wish it were lower by about 1/8".
I think the bolt could be inserted from the top down as one would expect it to be. However, I think you would have to tighten the bolt head rather than the nut....which shouldn't be done.
I'm going to check out the close tolerance bolt thing. I would also like to hear the answer to Oldgeezer's question as I too have reamed the bolt hole to .311

Close?

Tom
I have a 9A and have already reamed my nose gear to .3115 . Is there a NAS close tolerence bolt that will work with this size or do I now have to go oversize.

Thanks
Oldgeezer
RV9A

The NAS6605 Calls for .3110 to .3112, your hole is 3 to 5 ten thousandths Bigger than the standard 5/16 NAS bolt.

My guess,,(really my guess) is that would be better than most installations with just the an 5-20A. It would be worth the try, you can go oversize later, but once oversize you will never go back to regular size.

Tip, if its loos do not over tighten, this is a shear application and extra torque increased chance of failure.

Reference book page..

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/nashhb.pdf

Have fun!:cool:

The NAS6605 Calls for .3110 to .3112, your hole is 3 to 5 ten thousandths Bigger than the standard 5/16 NAS bolt.

My guess,,(really my guess) is that would be better than most installations with just the an 5-20A. It would be worth the try, you can go oversize later, but once oversize you will never go back to regular size.

Tip, if its loos do not over tighten, this is a shear application and extra torque increased chance of failure.

Reference book page..

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/nashhb.pdf

Have fun!:cool:

Thanks Tom

I'll order and try one of the Nas 6605 bolts. When I place the order, is it possible for your sales person to mic and send me the fattest bolt.

Sorry

Thanks Tom

I'll order and try one of the Nas 6605 bolts. When I place the order, is it possible for your sales person to mic and send me the fattest bolt.

Sorry,
they are packaged and will be so close to one another , it would not make a discernable difference.

Back