What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boelube Paste

David Paule

Well Known Member
Mine seems to be a brittle solid, not a paste at all. When I touch it to a hand-held stationary drill bit, it flakes off and turns to powder, barely sticking.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Or did I get a bad batch?

Or am I supposed to somehow get this powder on the spinning drill bit?

How do I use this stuff?

Thanks!

Dave

That's the way it is, which is why I switched to Boelube oil instead.

But the Paste is usable. Put the screw or drill bit into the hard wax and some will stick. Doesn't take much.

What little bit gets on the bit is all you need. I built my whole 9a using one little container of the paste. Once the drill bit gets warm from drilling it will melt the paste and more will stick to the bit.

For clarity, there is a 'stick' that is the consistency of powdery candle wax. There is paste that is closer to grease than solid. Then there is oil. Keeps anything with a cutting blade super sharp!

Boelube is basically Cetyl alcohol and paraffin wax. I work in the heavy jet industry, and we made our own for awhile with blocks of wax and gallons of alcohol. You can thin the paste with a little alcohol if needed. Boeing trademarked it. Really not needed unless your doing some thick stuff,or steel. Helps reamers make nice smooth cut. Be sure to reall clean your parts before alodine/prime, as the residue is...wax.

I bought all 3

The hard stick) works best on warm tool bits and hand files.

The paste) good for inserting close tolerance fasteners in close tolerance holes.

The liquid) does well for all of it, but be careful of drips that would otherwise be a less messy application.

I use mainly the paste but your preference may be different, it's all good.

I got mine from MSC supply.

Back