What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boelube choices

Shockwave

Well Known Member
This probably comes down to personal preference and splitting hairs, but I see a solid, a paste, and a liquid form of Boelube. Are there any specific advantages or disadvantages to them?

Solid

I've only used the solid because I couldn't find the paste. I think the paste would probably work out better but the solid has been fine for my 5 years of building. The problem with the solid is when you get near the end of it's life, large chunks fall out. It's very much like candle wax.

The way I applied it most of the time is just drill into before drilling into the metal. Sometimes I'd rub it on the bit as well.

As he says...

I've only used the solid because I couldn't find the paste. I think the paste would probably work out better but the solid has been fine for my 5 years of building. The problem with the solid is when you get near the end of it's life, large chunks fall out. It's very much like candle wax.

The way I applied it most of the time is just drill into before drilling into the metal. Sometimes I'd rub it on the bit as well.

...both work well.

But you seem to get a bit more paste for the $$ than the solid form, and have a little less waste.

They both come from Aircraft Spruce -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/boelube.php

Boelube

The paste definitely is easier to use than the stick, and you get good bang for your buck. The liquid is awesome for holesaw and rotabroach use, and I used it a lot on my RV project. I am an auto mechanic by day, and prefer the paste for use on taps, and the liquid in dies. I discarded the stick a long time ago.

HTH,
Chris

Can it be brought back?

Anybody know if the solid type can be brought back to life? I bought from a large AC supplier but it arrived in a crumbly form, obviously dried out. (Same problem I had with their torque seal) :mad:

Can anything be added to rejuvinate it? I know I could buy another tube for a few bucks but don't have anything else to order right now.

Alan

RV-9A Wings (Fuse kit in garage)
N984AW Reserved

<<Anybody know if the solid type can be brought back to life? I bought from a large AC supplier but it arrived in a crumbly form>>

It melts easily. I'd try dumping the crumbs in a tin cup and warming it, then pouring it back into the original container.

Back