What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Body Ice

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi All,
Bob Leffler mentions "Body Icing". It looks like maybe it is a sand-able filler. I see he used it on his doors. I'm working on door jambs and this product, if easily sand-able might be helpful.

Hi All,
Bob Leffler mentions "Body Icing". It looks like maybe it is a sand-able filler. I see he used it on his doors. I'm working on door jambs and this product, if easily sand-able might be helpful.

All fillers are sand-able. The US Chemical body icing has been used on numerous RVs. I'm sure that there are other brands, but this is the brand I was introduced to by some other RV-10 builders. It is a polyester based filler, so you need understand it's characteristics.

I found this product more user friendly when coming down to the final finishing is certain areas. You can mix small batches, in my opinion it flows easier than micro, as well as usually has significantly fewer pin holes. It's also easier to sand and sculpt than micro. I'm sure that there are others that may have a different opinion.

Icing is a body filler designed for finishing smaller areas. It is lower in viscosity
Then normal body filler. The advantage of icing it will finish off and blend much better then a standard thicker filler. Icing also sands really nice. We use it everyday at work. It is a great filler.
Geoff

Thanks

We have been using "micro" with decent results, but are always looking for new and better ways. I'll give it a try. Thanks again

Metal Glaze

Icing is a body filler designed for finishing smaller areas. It is lower in viscosity
Then normal body filler. The advantage of icing it will finish off and blend much better then a standard thicker filler. Icing also sands really nice. We use it everyday at work. It is a great filler.
Geoff

Metal Glaze is a competitive product that also works well. Depends on what you can get at you local auto aviation department.

Gary Specketer

Back