What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bob Axsom's SARL presentation to EAA 732

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I wanted to post a few tidbits of information that I gleaned from Bob's most excellent presentation this past weekend. In building my RV7 I've thought about things I can do with it other than the usual boring holes in the sky. Racing interests me and I'd love to try out a few local ones once I have a plane, that is. I think it was Jay Pratt who posted the question a few months ago asking about other things that you can do with your flying time. So here are a few bullets of interesting things I got from the presentation that I didn't know before.

Sport Air Racing League
http://www.sportairrace.org

• 21 and counting - 21 races for the 2012 season, probably one in your neck of the woods.
  • Like the website says "Racing for the Rest of Us". You probably wont be competing with P51s unless you have one of your own.
  • There is a class for just about any kind of aircraft. RVs (because they are better looking, I think) have their own classes. I counted 6.5 pages of different classes that Bob gave us information on. If it flys there is probably SARL class for it.
  • It Aint Racing if You Aint Rubbin - Not true at SARL. Steps are taken to ensure that faster planes take off before slower planes. Most people never even see another racer after they take off. So dont worry about having to go 3 wide into a turn.
  • Need for Speed - No handicaps or efficiency, just who gets to the end of the course first is the winner.
  • You can win in many different ways. You can win the class in the race...you can race in multiple races and gain points towards a National Championship in your class. Maybe you just want to challenge yourself and see how well you can do.
Bob went on to describe how he prepares for races. I assume he left some secrets out. :) He talked about the organization of a race and how it is conducted and what is required to join. If you are even moderately interested, check out the link above and calendar of events for this year.

Now I need to go finish my plane so I can be ready for the 2014 season.

I thought it went very badly - but ...

The main thing was to spread the word in our little corner of Arkansas and try to get another racer amongst us. Obviously it wasn't all bad - thanks. I hope to see you at the races.

Bob Axsom

Racer Bob with his modifications and relentless pursuit for improvement and participation in SARL was a huge influence on my build. I got motivation reading every post.

I didn't have a racer budget, but SARL makes it doable for the common man. I've learned a lot about myself and my airplane by prepping and then running in 2 races.

Kind of sad I'm probably going to miss the season opener at Sherman TX next week.

Too bad about that Brian

Kind of sad I'm probably going to miss the season opener at Sherman TX next week.

It isnt published yet but I have it from an inside source (the race director) That the 9th RV Blue (360) just signed up to race and another is leaning toward it. I have a hunch that you are a big sand bagger with a supper fast RV-7 and if you won that would give you 100 points for first and 10 points for everyone in class that you beat or a whopping 190 points for one race! A rare opportunity.

Bob Axsom

Hey Bob, here is how I handicap the current race line up. It is based on a rough past performance average and if they have even run a race or twenty.
I left a blank spot for where I thought I would fit in. I beat Mike last year....but I knew that course blindfolded and now Mike has the Bennett Special race engine and other Mods.

Race 391 Jason Rovey RV-8 RV Blue
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV Blue
Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 "El Lento" RV Blue

Race 117 Ken Krebaum RV-8 RV Blue
Race P Bruce Pauley RV-7A "Miss Marie" RV Blue
Race 438 Danny Stanton RV-8 "Bullet" RV Blue
Race 700 Mark Waggoner RV-6 RV Blue
Race 81 Gary Shelley RV-8 RV Blue
Race 82 Chuck Wallace RV-8 "Free Bird" RV Blue

It is always fun to see how things work out

Everyone That goes to races or watches them on TV likes to pick a favorite or three and see how they come out. The last race I ran was at Taylor last year with my trusty teammate Jeanine. It was the opening race of the season and we won the RV Blue class and came away as the initial point leaded of the season. I have not raced or made any mods since then and have flown little so I expect there is going to be some catching up to do - you might want to consider that in your ranking. If Dave Christman shows up, throw him right up there with Jason Rovey. This is going to be the biggest field of RV Blues ever I believe and just running in the race will be uplifting.

Bob Axsom

Back