What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bob Archer install check

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Wanted to have some additional eyes look at my install before I moved forward and glassed it in. It's a Bob Archer Nav antenna in the right wing tip. Per the instructions I tried to move it as far forward as possible while remaining flat. Since I'm using Aerosun VX landing/taxi lights I have glassed in a wing tip mod... so moved it back away from the mess of resin right there.

adult image

If all looks well then I'll go ahead and put glass in 3 places to hold it down. My concern is the instructions talk about screwing it into the wingtip, guessing that's the method if you're not attaching it with nutplates and glassing it down.

Thanks!

Installation looks good to me. The screws at your nutplates will provide the proper ground. You will like the reception.

Or - mount it on a piece of .063 aluminum angle that is screwed to the outboard wing rib, and just slide the wingtip over it.

Note from your photo that if you made your own antenna you could have extended it much further into the wingtip to improve performance. If you want to experiment extend the leg that goes out and then reattach the leg that goes aft in the wingtip. You will need to shorten the aft leg the same amount as you lengthen the first leg. Most kits have aluminum cut off that are a perfect size to make your own antenna.

I disagree on moving it forward as you might end up with an RFI problem, especially if you are using LED NAV/Strobes. I also disagree on running the NAV/Strobe lead down the antenna leg. Keep it as far away as you can.

When done borrow an antenna analyzer to see if you need to tweak the length to bring it into resonance.

Carl

Thanks I'll go with this install. If for whatever reason these don't work out then I might try to build my own per Carl. As long as they work within 20 miles from an ILS I'll be good to go.

It looks great - just follow the instructions and you will like it.

I ran my strobe and position lights down the front leg just as called out by the instructions and can still pick up VORs from a goodly distance away (104nm on the ODI 270? radial from 7500' feet on a KX155).

Or - mount it on a piece of .063 aluminum angle that is screwed to the outboard wing rib, and just slide the wingtip over it.

Note from your photo that if you made your own antenna you could have extended it much further into the wingtip to improve performance. If you want to experiment extend the leg that goes out and then reattach the leg that goes aft in the wingtip. You will need to shorten the aft leg the same amount as you lengthen the first leg. Most kits have aluminum cut off that are a perfect size to make your own antenna.

I disagree on moving it forward as you might end up with an RFI problem, especially if you are using LED NAV/Strobes. I also disagree on running the NAV/Strobe lead down the antenna leg. Keep it as far away as you can.

When done borrow an antenna analyzer to see if you need to tweak the length to bring it into resonance.

Carl

I have a flying 9 and want to add an Archer antenna but don't want to mess up the paint by replacing rivets to hold down the ground leg of the antenna. If the ground leg of the antenna is attached to an angle that is bolted to the wing rib (per Carl's suggestion above) what prevents the overhang part of the antenna from flopping around inside the wing tip and eroding the fiberglass? Also I have the Aero led nav/strobe wing tip lights. How far away should I keep the antenna to prevent RFI?

Thanks
Jim

I have a flying 9 and want to add an Archer antenna but don't want to mess up the paint by replacing rivets to hold down the ground leg of the antenna. If the ground leg of the antenna is attached to an angle that is bolted to the wing rib (per Carl's suggestion above) what prevents the overhang part of the antenna from flopping around inside the wing tip and eroding the fiberglass? Also I have the Aero led nav/strobe wing tip lights. How far away should I keep the antenna to prevent RFI?

Thanks
Jim

If you use the archer antenna, it will bounce around. I make my own so that the antenna extends as far a possible out into the wingtip. As such, it nestles into the wingtip and does not flop around. As it also extends further out form the wing rib I offer it performs better.

Carl

Carl

That's exactly what I do. I usually put some edge grommet on the outboard leg so it doesn't chafe on the wingtip.

Back