What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bob Archer Comm: left and right sided

newimaging

Just read that the Archer Comm antenna can be bought as a right or left sided model. Any reason why it couldn`t be installed upside down ? I was thinking left wing tip, since the home airport I will most likely end up will have left hand pattern.

It does not matter if left or right or upside down. Bob's left / right is how the coax attaches to the antenna. I have one in each wingtip. One runs the VOR the other runs the FM Stereo.

I forget if Bob recommends top or bottom of the wingtip. Mine are on the TOP.

I installed Bob's antennas in the wingtips of my 6A. Comm on the right and VOR on the left.

I was very dissapointed with the comm antenna and have since removed it and added it to my boat anchor! The VOR antenna is another story inthat I have been very pleased with it. It works as well as any VOR antenna I've ever used.............. Highly reccomended!

Hope you have better results (than I did) with the comm antenna if you decide to give it a try!

Hope this helps,

I installed Bob's antennas in the wingtips of my 6A. Comm on the right and VOR on the left.

I was very dissapointed with the comm antenna and have since removed it and added it to my boat anchor! The VOR antenna is another story inthat I have been very pleased with it. It works as well as any VOR antenna I've ever used.............. Highly reccomended!

Hope you have better results (than I did) with the comm antenna if you decide to give it a try!

Hope this helps,

The shortcomings of the Archer com antenna and the excellent performance of the vor antenna in RV wingtips is well documented in the VAF archives. It might be worth some homework before going to the effort of installing the com antenna.

Just read that the Archer Comm antenna can be bought as a right or left sided model. Any reason why it couldn`t be installed upside down ? I was thinking left wing tip, since the home airport I will most likely end up will have left hand pattern.

The shortcomings of the Archer com antenna and the excellent performance of the vor antenna in RV wingtips is well documented in the VAF archives. It might be worth doing some reading before going to the effort of installing the com antenna.

I've got an Archer com antenna for COM 2 (COM 1 antenna is on the belly). It works well at short range, but not good at all at long range. Don't count on getting more than 40 nm range from it.

The antenna lies flat against the wing tip, and the coax connector is on the other side of the antenna. If you tried to put a left antenna in a right wing tip, upside down, the coax connector would be in between the antenna and the wing tip, preventing the antenna from sitting flat against the wing tip.

Botom line - you need to purchase a left antenna if you want to put it in the left wing tip.

Back