What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BlueMountain EFIS 1 question

J5Cub

I got what I think (hope?) was a good deal on a Gen3 EFIS 1 that the owner decided to upgrade to a Gen4 before even using. Only time will tell if this was smart or not.

BlueMountain no longer ships DVD players or Flash Card Readers with their systems to handle data transfers. It appears that the preferred method of downloading software upgrades and uploading flight data is using a laptop and FTP software. Seems reasonable enough. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use the HP IPAQ that I use for anywhere map to do the transfer (it has wifi built in). So, has anyone hooked up their BM EFIS 1 to be wireless? Any thoughts on the best way to do it? Is it possible to get an interface to have my IPAQ communicate on hardwired ethernet? Might be nice to be able to use the computer in my hangar on wifi to communicate with the RV?

More or less thinking out load I guess.

Greg

J5Cub said:
I got what I think (hope?) was a good deal on a Gen3 EFIS 1 that the owner decided to upgrade to a Gen4 before even using. Only time will tell if this was smart or not.

BlueMountain no longer ships DVD players or Flash Card Readers with their systems to handle data transfers. It appears that the preferred method of downloading software upgrades and uploading flight data is using a laptop and FTP software. Seems reasonable enough. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to use the HP IPAQ that I use for anywhere map to do the transfer (it has wifi built in). So, has anyone hooked up their BM EFIS 1 to be wireless? Any thoughts on the best way to do it? Is it possible to get an interface to have my IPAQ communicate on hardwired ethernet? Might be nice to be able to use the computer in my hangar on wifi to communicate with the RV?

More or less thinking out load I guess.

Greg

Hi Greg.

I know that some people have put 12v ethernet hubs in the airplane (the autopilot controller occupies the only ethernet port on early EFIS/Ones otherwise) so I don't know of any reason that it wouldn't work in theory. I have used a Mac to ftp files in and out of the EFIS without problems, although I have and use the card reader without any problems.

The best place for this question would be on the BMA discussion board (on their website).

flyeyes said:
Hi Greg.

I know that some people have put 12v ethernet hubs in the airplane (the autopilot controller occupies the only ethernet port on early EFIS/Ones otherwise) so I don't know of any reason that it wouldn't work in theory. I have used a Mac to ftp files in and out of the EFIS without problems, although I have and use the card reader without any problems.

The best place for this question would be on the BMA discussion board (on their website).
James,

I was thinking a wireless hub might do the trick and since my IPAQ has wifi buit in I could use it in place of a card reader (which I don't have). I am going to prewire this on the bench so I can try that then. Just need to find the right router.

Thanks for the suggestion about the BMA discussion board. I have posted a couple of questions there but have not gotten much response. I have even emailed the company without response. I think that I need to have more specific and intelligent questions to ask before going there. VAF seems to be more active and responsive.

Regards,
Greg

Back