What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Ridge Parkway XC 2012 - Ideas Solicited

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Hi All,

With Fall around the corner, I'm thinking of doing a XC along the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC and VA. A rode this on the m/c back in Oct 1999 and absolutely loved it. It's now time to do it again but in the -7A. The idea would be to make a beeline from Austin, TX to Ashville, NC and stay the night. For the next couple of days, make our way upward low-n-slow a couple of hours at a time then shutdown in a little down for the rest of the day to check out the local area.

Timeframe is mid/late Oct to early Nov. What are some good places/towns/festivals/museums to visit/eat along the way in NC and VA?

Thanks,

Ashville airport is expensive and quite far out of town. It is also one of those FBOs were you wave goodbye to your plane as it gets towed off to remote parking...:rolleyes:

When I go back next time I'll use Hendersonville to the South for cheap fuel. Should be good as long as the Enterprise office is open...:)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/0A7

There is a nice small, but interesting museum at Hendersonville airport and it is a nice small town to drive around. If you have a car Black Mountain is a nice place to visit.

If you like music, check the papers for the weekly bluegrass jam session, my wife enjoyed that.

Good beer and food in the nice downtown area of Ashville and the bumper stickers were interesting...

KEEPAVLWEIRDzensutherland2.jpg

But nicely wierd...:)

Send me a PM when you come and we'll try to be good hosts. There are a number of RVers at AVL and 0A7

Blueridge XC

I live at 8A7 (Twin Lakes) near Winston-Salem NC. I frequent the Blueridge with my-4, and favor trips around Grandfather Mountain and Stone Mountain as well as Pilot Mountain which is about 15 minutes south east of the actual parkway. If your inclined to get up in my parts, I have a spare bedroom and a hangar for your ship, as well as fuel available on the field. There is a worthy BBQ fly-in airport a little farther east, but its a good option if weather is crapola on the parkway. Its called Gilliam-McConell, and has the famous Pik-n-Pig resturant on the field. Im not sure when your planning the trip, but there is RV Nation fly-in getting started up in Tennesse on Oct 6 th, and its not far from the parkway..see the info on the VAF calendar, or elsewhere in this forum.

Back