What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blister in MT prop blade boot

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I discovered this on my preflight this AM. It's about the size of thumbnail. There does not appear to be any stress beneath the rubber which I determined by feel. I've sent pic and docs to Deland (FL) to the MT folks but wondered if any of you have had this experience.

Prop has 155.5 hrs since new and started service Feb 2012.

thanks,
Don Stiver

qqz8kl.jpg

Follow up

At 3:09 AM this morning I received this prompt reply from MT Propeller:

"it is only the black tape and MTP USA can send you one and you pull it off and bond on a new one.
I assume there was just a little bit of air when they glued it on.
Optional you use a very thin needle and make small hole and let the air out and all is good.
Nothing to worry."

I sure do appreciate the very prompt reply and the relatively good news. While prop removal is not a major issue it is a PITA.

Final Chapter

Here?s an odd final chapter. MT Prop folks told me to either replace the tape or try to pop the blister with a pin. I chose the pin option and to my surprise if found it was filled with water. Prior to the initial blister discovery I had flown through light/moderate rain for about 25 minutes.

I inspected the tape and couldn?t find any breach in the perimeter.

Physics would seem to dictate that any water striking the blade would be thrown outboard so the idea of water insinuating itself down the SS leading edge seems unlikely. Maybe there is an imperceptible pin hole in the tape at that blister location.

In any event MT is sending me a new tape and the tech folks said it is nothing to worry about. If/when I ever fly through rain again I?ll see if my ?pinhole? theory is correct.

x1lf28.jpg

I've flown through lots of rain with my MT prop in the last five years and have never had this problem. Lots of issues with paint erosion flying in the rain, though!

Back