What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleeding tape

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Don't know it this is a tip or not, it just works for me. I'm using automotive Nason paint and the best trim tape I can find. I remove the edging tape as soon as the paint tacks off. I still get two things. I get small amounts of bleeds under the tape at rivets and overlaps of the alum. I sharpen a popsicle stick to a point , wrap that with a small rag and dip the end in Randolph C-2210 paint surface cleaner. In order for this to work the base paint needs to be cured and the trim paint needs to be just dried/tacky.
I just follow the edges carefully and clean out around the rivets. I noticed removing the tape when the paint is tacky leaves hair line lines out on my white here and there. With my eyes I need to get close to see them but they are there. This method quickly wipes them away.
I finally found something about painting that I like and enjoy. Un-taping after painting. It's fun to open things up and see how it turns out. This only applies when things turn out OK.

Paint Color

The bleed tip I saw someplace was to first spray the base color, not the trim color. This lets the bleed of the same color fill the voids in the tape, so when you apply the trim color it won't bleed.

And I agree, pulling off the tape is fun, as long as it goes okay... ;)

The bleed tip I saw someplace was to first spray the base color, not the trim color. This lets the bleed of the same color fill the voids in the tape, so when you apply the trim color it won't bleed.

People also mask, then shoot a coat of clear, then apply their trim colors. The clear seals the tape edge.

Masking

I mask everything but the final paint line first. Last piece of tape is the first (and only) piece to come off until the paint cures.Avoids dragging masking paper across freshly applied paint.

I mask everything but the final paint line first. Last piece of tape is the first (and only) piece to come off until the paint cures.Avoids dragging masking paper across freshly applied paint.
Exactly how I do it. I'm using fine line tape but still have a few places it bleeds thru around rivets. Not much mind you but if you look you can see it. Perhaps I'm fussier than most or perhaps not as good at applying tape!!
Does not matter as I'm OK with the results I have in the end.

one tip

Ron, I've done and experienced exactly this issue.
The only fix I could come up with was slow, but usually worked.
the fineline tapes can be fairly stiff, so if you 'pull' to get a straight line, the tension contributes to it 'tenting' over high spots.
To reduce this, I'd warm the tape with a hair dryer, and burnish around the head with a fingernail or plastic squeegee.
....another method is to make a small die with a rounded hole in it like a rivet set, slightly bigger than the rivet, and push this down over the tape and head.
They actually sell a product called a 'torpedo' for applying vehicle wraps on riveted trailer bodies...one version has a dimpled felt end to apply pressure over the head and sides.

http://www.qualitydigitalsolutions.ca/torpedo-rivet-tool

(never actually used one! ...but it could be another solution.)

Back