What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleeding brakes

rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
I have dual brakes on my RV-6A and have found it works better to bleed them using a vacuum pump from the res. side than the other way around. Is anyone smart enough to re-acquaint me with this procedure?

I will save the post for 2-3 years when I need it next. The R side brakes must get some air in the lines. L side stays fine. If I were building now, no R side brakes.
Dues paid Dec. 2012

bleed brakes

I use an inexpensive oil can, the type with a trigger pump, available at most hardware stores. I fill the pump with fluid, place a length, 2' or so of plastic hose over the end of the spout on the pump (need a tight fit here) and the other end on the bleed valve on the bottom of the brake caliper, also a tight fit. Open the bleed valve using a 1/4" wrench and pump the fluid into the caliper, paying close attention to the fluid level in the resevoir as it will overflow, it may be necessary to remove some fluid from the resevoir before you start. Close the valve and then remove the hose. It may also be necessary to repeat the process on both calipers if you have 2 soft pedals. I have used this method for years and always end up with a good hard pedal, no air.
Dick

I use an inexpensive oil can, the type with a trigger pump, available at most hardware stores. I fill the pump with fluid, place a length, 2' or so of plastic hose over the end of the spout on the pump (need a tight fit here) and the other end on the bleed valve on the bottom of the brake caliper, also a tight fit. Open the bleed valve using a 1/4" wrench and pump the fluid into the caliper, paying close attention to the fluid level in the resevoir as it will overflow, it may be necessary to remove some fluid from the resevoir before you start. Close the valve and then remove the hose. It may also be necessary to repeat the process on both calipers if you have 2 soft pedals. I have used this method for years and always end up with a good hard pedal, no air.
Dick

This, except I never had good luck with the cheap oil trigger cans I found. I adapted a $8 garden sprayer and it worked much better.

20p8s3q.jpg

Dick

Same exact process here. Except I thread a fitting into the top of the reservoir with a short hose on it into a zip-loc bag taped to the engine mount to catch the overflow, which there should be plenty of. Works perfect, no drama at all. I now use disposable pipettes to remove the excess from the reservoir when done.

I'm getting ready to do mine and am considering using a crank type model airplane fuel pump which is rated for both alcohol and gasoline. Anyone see any issues with this?? First flush would be wasted...

Nobody has so far mentioned to prime the empty, clear hose from the pump.

Be sure that there is no air in the hose before you attach it to the bleed nipple, or you'll be bleeding for a long time.

Best,

We use one of these:

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=225DX

It reduces the mess greatly. Might seem pricey but the first time you use it, you'll smile.

I put the fitting below in the brake reservoir with a long length of clear tube to extend to a capture jar (pickle jar) on the floor:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_67954-104-LFA29_0__?productId=3134947&Ntt=brass+elbow+1%2F8%22+npt&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dbrass%2Belbow%2B1%252F8%2522%2Bnpt&facetInfo=

Exactly what I used.

Thanks to all for the great tips. I am looking forward to the 15 inch spring snow to melt so I can give it a shot.

Back