What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Black & Decker Bit Driver

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
41pVrh9lA5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Has anyone bought one of these things? I saw it at Home Depot yesterday for $30. It looks like it would be perfect for getting at the seat cover screws.

I might pick one up, unless someone knows of a better tool.

I realize the driver might not be built to snap-on quality standards, but the thing that caught my eye about it was how close the head can get to objects and still drive screws nice and straight.

I didn't tap any of the nutplates in the cockpit, and it would seem like this could be very handy. Off the top of my head, I would imagine the screws along the seat cover sides and those along the bottom of the baggage bulkhead would be difficult to drive with a normal bit driver.

Last edited:
Andy, I would buy it.

I think your right that the offset gear would make it better.
I have a older version that doesn't have the offset. Most screws are remove without a problem, but some would be better with the new driver. $30.00 you can't go wrong.

Kent

Thanks for the input guys.

I found someone selling these on eBay for $20 shipped, and at that price it seemed like a no-brainer.

Overall impressions? You get what you pay for. It's not a professional grade product - but for $20 that wasn't the expectation. It is working nicely for getting into all of the tight places where a normal driver can't get a straight shot at the screws. I don't expect much in the way of battery life, so I put it back on the charger after use.

One funny thing - Out of the box it was really jittery when run in reverse. This morning I accidentally dropped it on the kitchen floor and part of the case popped open. After pushing it back together it's running nice and smooth in forward and reverse!

I have one of these and love it. Over the construction and since flying I've gone through 4 battery drivers and this one is the best. Wish I had it to begin with. The torque is really good and it is very ergonomic. I've dropped it a few times on my concrete floor with nothing but a small scratch on it. The little LED landing light on it is great for dark places.

$20 is a really good price. I think I paid around $35 for mine at Lowes a year ago.

Back