What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bizarre External Corrosion

dahugo

Gentlemen,

Me and my co-builders finally got the DAR to the hangar today, and about 3 years from start to finish, we are finally approved to fly (pending just a tad more paperwork.)

In any case, when the DAR was on his back looking at the belly he showed me what looked like corrosion from battery acid on four screws on the belly of the plane. He asked if there was some battery powered device above the screws (which were in a rectangular configuration.) When I double checked inside the aircraft, it confirmed that the corrosion (which takes the form of a white powdery residue) was on the exterior of the screws which held my Whelen strobe power supply to its base plate, and then to the floor of the empenage.

There is no acid or other fluid in a Whelen power supply, so I naturally ask this question: why the **** would the exterior of the stainless steel screws holding a power supply to an aluminum aircraft appear corroded?

Since the aircraft has not been flown yet, and our "testing" of those particular lights has not taken more than 60 seconds total since their installation, I cannot fathom what is taking place.

Any ideas?

dahugo

Galvanic corrosion

I don't know exactly what kind of stainless steel you have, but i have seen some sorts of galvanic corrosion between steel and Al. IIRC, the Al is more active and it will act as the anode (sacrificial). Others can confirm.

Another possibility - there are capacitors in the power supply that may have burst and be leaking the dielectric fluid and that is what you are seeing. Look closely at the power supply and see if it may have originated as a liquid trail from inside.

18-8 stainless steel fasteners!

18-8 stainless steel fasteners should not be allowed to touch bare aluminum.
It may take time but the stainless will corrode the aluminum.

A materials engineer could give us the numbers, but it won't change the results.:(

Back