What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Birthday Lunch

petehowell

Well Known Member
The Little One, Kate, turns 12 next week. That means:
1) Ouch, I am getting really old and
2) Time to fly for Birthday Lunch!

Kate and I talked over the options and settled on Cumberland Muni over on the Cheesehead side of the river. They have a great new terminal building and an old cop car to drive to lunch. Good options for food, too.

Kate took command shortly after takeoff and can follow a pink line like it leads to a Taylor Swift concert.....
IMG_8876.JPG

It was Clear and a Million + out there:
IMG_8880.JPG

Nice blues and browns on the Upper St Croix:
IMG_8882.JPG

We set the nuvi to Pizza Finder in the background...Kate says this is not the best picture of her.....
IMG_8888.JPG

Ice is receding on the little lakes due the 60deg temps lately - was colder today.
IMG_8892.JPG

Cumberland is a pretty little country airport
IMG_8918.JPG

OK, Kate, my airplane, KATE.... - MY PLANE!
IMG_8920.JPG

We liberated the keys from the terminal and drove the cop car like we stole it into town. We had a nice lunch at the sub shop, and returned to find our -9A waiting.

A nice, but bumpy, ride home rounded out the day.....

Happy Birthday Kate!
IMG_8933.JPG

Last edited:
I think I flew one of my cross countries as a student pilot to Cumberland Muni. Most of my early years of flying where up and down the St Croix. Unfortunately it was overcast 1500 and 5 miles here in STL so just had to be content with 1 hour of touch and goes yesterday.

Great pictures!!

Last edited:
Can we say, "Quality time?"

....and by the way, Pete....I have eight grand-children, products of my three children, so "Old" is rather relative:)

Best,

Nice Pete

My daughter starts college this fall. Some day I hope we can spent some quality time in our 9A. We should be able to make our fourth annual drive to OSH before she goes this year. We are both looking forward to when we can fly into OSH together.

Quality Time

Mike,

Our twins head to college next fall. I am secretly cheering for them to go to schools that are a nice RV flight away.

Kate's older sister Megan and I went to lunch in Mason City yesterday and she got to meet some of the great guys at the airport there, including Doug Rozendaal. It is just a 40 minute flight, but it was a great chance to catch up on our busy lives. Back at Anoka, Bernie, Alex and Peter were that the hangar when we arrived and made a big deal of saying hello to her. On her way to bed last night she told me she really enjoyed the day and understands why I like the airplane guys - they are all so nice....

Megan is coming to OSH with me this year - maybe we can grab lunch with the daughters there.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan

Pete,

When OSH gets a little closer I'll get in touch with you and see if we can't find a common day to be on site. We try to get up there the first part of the week to catch the Monday concert. Gives me Sunday to drive up missing some traffic through Chicago.

Back