What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bird nest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delusional

Well Known Member
I was admiring my work looking into the HS from the end and it occured to me that if I were a bird, it might seem like a nice, sheltered spot to nest on a rainy spring day. Some species are attracted to shiny objects and I am not priming.

I'm building an outdoor airplane, so I want to minimize opportunities for critters to creep in. Is there a proven mod to cover the lightening holes in the end ribs with some sort of removable cover? Or maybe they make small, round, inspection hole covers this size? Or, maybe the lightest thing is some ceconite and a bit of cement and silver dope, which would still be somewhat removable. More I think of it the more I like the fabric idea; no chance of jamming the elevator, especially if I do it from the inside of the rib before assembly...

I would think leaving the elevators in the neutral position would prevent birds from entering the horizontal stabilizer.

I would think leaving the elevators in the neutral position would prevent birds from entering the horizontal stabilizer.

If you are building a tail dragger -9,then you will want to secure the elevator in the up positon, exposing the holes.

Also, with the elevator in the neutral position, a mouse could still get in there as could mud daubers.

Before you go too far down the road of critter-proofing th plane, think about this - there is little difference when it comes to birds, bugs and rodents whether the airplane is hangared or tied down. most metal hangars I have seen have, at one time or another, had birds flying around inside. Mice and insects are ubiquitous. yet the airplanes survive pretty well. Don't ask me how - there is just a large amount of empirical evidence that they do. Keep your pitot and fuel vent covers on if you are in 'dauber country, and look for signs of birds and mice. My personal take is that I don't overcomplicate or worry about things that have not proven to be a problem.

Yes, birds do build nests in cowlings - look for the signs and do good preflights!

Paul

If you are building a tail dragger -9,then you will want to secure the elevator in the up position, exposing the holes.

Also, with the elevator in the neutral position, a mouse could still get in there as could mud daubers.

I guess I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. :rolleyes: I'm glad we don't have mud daubers up here in Montana. Sounds like they can make a mess out of things.

Last edited:
I guess they'll find a way in

Like Paul suggests above, rather than try to guess where they might try to get in, I'll just cover the ones that can't be easily inspected, or can kill you, and keep an eye on the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back