What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bigger Alternator

rjaflys

I recently purchased an RV-6A, 0-320 Lyc., 160 HP. It has a 30 Amp. alternator, with built in regulater installed and I am planning to equip the airplane IFR, which means more amps. Is there an alternator in the 50 to 60 amp range, that would be a direct replacement, without requireing cowling mods or anything like that. Thanks, Bob.

Plane Power 60 amp. It's available from a Vans & Aircraft Spruce . It's small with a built in regulator and overvoltage protection.

I have one on my 6A.

edit: If looking at Aircraft Spruce, search for Plane Power & scroll to the experimental alternators. $378.00

L.Adamson

Last edited:
If you want to go back in with an inexpensive replacement that you can buy off the shelf at the auto parts store, go in and ask for a Lester #14684. 60 Amps, internally regulated. Put a blast tube on the regulator to keep it cool, and make sure you have good pulley alignment. Mine will probably fail tomorrow, but I think it has about 700 hours on it right now.

Paul

If you want to go back in with an inexpensive replacement that you can buy off the shelf at the auto parts store, go in and ask for a Lester #14684. 60 Amps, internally regulated. Put a blast tube on the regulator to keep it cool, and make sure you have good pulley alignment. Mine will probably fail tomorrow, but I think it has about 700 hours on it right now.

Paul

How very true! On my friend's plane, the alternator pulley was about 1/8"-3/16" out of alignment and the mount kept coming loose. I had to use shim washers to get nice straight alignment and it stayed attached. It's funny how you can miss that until you sight along the belt from the ring gear to the alternator.

Lifetime Warranty

As a bonus......Most 87 Suzuki Samurai alternators have a lifetime warranty, too.

Paul

Mine will probably fail tomorrow, but I think it has about 700 hours on it right now.

Paul

So during your next oil change why don't you remove your alternator and take it in and have the bearings replaced and a good LOOK SEE at everything else.

A rebuilt unit does not mean that they replaced the bearings. But at 700 hours, it looks like your alternator bearings were in good shape. Bad bearings usually let go within the first three hundred hours and if they lock up and burn the belt in half, then you need to remove the prop..............:eek:

make sure you.........

take in your old alt for core charge saving. these auto units work very well if cooled.
img0597kb.jpg

On the other hand, the Plane Power alternators are new, not rebuilt, and have a better fan setup. They come with a built in over-voltage protection circuit. All brackets, bolts, and a new belt is included. My Van's rebuilt unit died at 117 hrs. The Plane Power is an easy replacement.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back