What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big River

petehowell

Well Known Member
Believe or not, the -9A makes a decent photo platform! The key is to clean the canopy real well and then find a syrupy smooth evening to get up and shoot with the fading light. Tonight's target was the Big River south of Hastings, MN.

Wind calm, skies clear, sun setting. I spied a tug with barges on the river to the south and flew some big circles to clear the airspace. I found the one target in the area and set up loiter mode. 4.2 GPH is good, cheap fun:

IMG_2247.JPG

I then positioned the plane down river, staring into the setting sun and started shooting. Even I could not screw up light like this.......

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Even the windsock looked good tonight!

IMG_2357.JPG

Last edited:
Nice!

Beautiful shots, Pete. I see neither wing nor prop in any of these shots. Were you mostly shooting at a 45 degree angle from the centerline?

Thanks for sharing.

Wish I was that good!

Mike thanks for the kind comment. Most of the shots were cropped a bit - to eliminate any bad edges. I'm not that good composing with the camera! The shots were out the passenger side at about a 70deg angle.

Nice Pics

Very Nice Pics Pete!

And remember folks.... this was done out of a slider not a tip up. :D

Pete-

Very inspirational! Nice work. I can't wait to get my 9A done, so I can get out there and have some fun too. Please keep posting, I love looking at what is possible in a RV9A....:)

Farther down the Big River

Here are a few shoots I took a few mornings ago about 400 miles down stream.
img0889gc.jpg

img0887y.jpg

img0893m.jpg

img0883v.jpg

img0891oq.jpg

Last edited:
Big River Summer Plans

Phil,

Nice Pics! We are still planning to fly down the river to catch a ball game in STL, hopefully this summer. I'll let you know when we are coming and maybe we can hook up.

Phil,

Nice Pics! We are still planning to fly down the river to catch a ball game in STL, hopefully this summer. I'll let you know when we are coming and maybe we can hook up.

That would be great. Just follow along the Big River south 600nm (or 400 nm by the RV flies) until it hits another big river (Missouri). A few miles further south you will hit the staduim; a few miles up the Missouri River you will hit me at 1H0.

That would be great. Just follow along the Big River south 600nm (or 400 nm by the RV flies) until it hits another big river (Missouri). A few miles further south you will hit the staduim; a few miles up the Missouri River you will hit me at 1H0.

IFR- I'll Follow Rivers.....:)

Which one of you is Lewis, and which one is Clark? :D nyuk, nyuk! (history check...you do know what they [L&C] did at the confluence of the MS and the MO, right? ;))

Man, Pete...I need to pick your brain on camera settings to make the "syrupy smooth" sunsets look that good! Nice pics!

Cheers,
Bob

Back