What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Bend Ranch Trip

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Big Bend Ranch State Park.
Reservations # 512 -389-8919

Some of us are making reservations for March 11th and 12th, fly home Sunday.
We have been weathered out some years. They have a three day cancel policy. Make your reservations now, you can cancle if it looks like the WX is not going to be good.

Hope we have a bunch of you RVers there!

I put this in Test, and some haven't seen that one.

Louise and I have been talking about it, and if the stars align, the Shutle lands on time, and our schedules clear, we might pop in for a day. have to be back Saturday night, so can't make a full weekend of it, but we'll see how the end of the week develops.

Paul

On our way soon

Tom & Bonnie and 4 other RVs from Pecan Plantation ( N TX ) are flying out in about an hour. Weather looks good for the weekend. Check our progress on our SPOT link below.

Paul and Valkyrie are on their way

I have to work today :( but Paul e-mailed at 0730 that they were launching. Bummed to miss it but someone in this family has to work. ;)

Me too!

I have to work today :( but Paul e-mailed at 0730 that they were launching. Bummed to miss it but someone in this family has to work. ;)

Me worky too! Totally bummed on not being able to go but with the high winds along the east side of the rockpile today I really won't miss the bumpy ride.

Y'all have a great time now ya hear.

Tanya and I are headed out in the morning...
The cookies were nice and warm out of the oven last night. Yum! They went down nice with a couple of beers.

Peferct WX . 13 RVs . 21 folks,, I think? Wish you were here!

Hush! I just got through slugging through the day job. No cookies for you :). (as if I had anything to say about it, other than my consumption rate capabilities.)
Airplane is fueled, dog is placed, fuel stop is planned... See you around noon tomorrow.

More Pics

Hey Garrett.... get some more of those awesome pics you are taking of RV's!

You all have fun!

Darn--I was hoping that Janie and I could pop over for at least a day--just could not work it out.

You folks are going to have a great time----Enjoy Victors cooking, the incredible star gazing, the interesting people/airplanes, the spectacular scenary, and the fire pit!

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Cheers,

db

The Val and I got out there yesterday morning and returned this afternoon - had to be back for a commitment tomorrow morning. Non-stopped back from 3TE3 to home base on the south side of Houston - 2+41 with tailwinds at 11,500' with a smooth ride.

Lots of hiking and plenty of mountain biking on the gravel road pretty much satisfied my need for exercise for a few days! The weather couldn't have been better, and we had a great crowd - bet they're enjoying another campfire tonight. I banked up last night's about midnight....

Paul

Had a great trip... Left this morning around 9am... Flew back at 11,500..200mph... Landed in Stephenville about 11am. Right at 2hrs 11mins in the RV9A.... Not bad for 150hp at 7.5gph....

Here's a few pictures... More to follow....

Robert Couch's 9A
couch.jpg

Jay Pratt's 8
Borrowed-Horse.jpg

Danny King's RV8
beautifuldoll.jpg

Chuck Wallace's RV8
freebird.jpg

Sunset from Saturday night on the Ridge Above the Bunk House
sunset1.jpg

Everybodies RV that was there looked great..... I tried to snap a few pictures of each....

Last edited:
Photos

Garrett, you pictures almost look like paintings!! very nice!
'Free Bird' the blue and black RV8 was built here www.RVCentral.US owned by Chuck Wallace of Dallas

Last edited:
great time!

My wife and I had a great time hiking and meeting a bunch of new RV'ers. I'll try to get a few pics posted tonight. We got a few of Borrowed Horse and Beautiful Doll in formation together on the trip down that look great!

Here's my SPOT Adventure links:

Flying: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=245361
You can see the fuel stop in Alpine on the way in along with headwinds the whole way. The trip home started as a headwind, turned to a tailwind, then grew little by little as we got closer to home.

Hiking: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=245362
We did a short hike on Friday (not captured by SPOT) and 2 hikes on Saturday. The SPOT track gives you a general idea of what we did, but with an update only every 10 minutes, you don't see every turn we took.

If you weren't there, why not???? Hopefully we'll see you at the next gathering!

Dave

A Few Pics From The Weekend

Beautiful Doll
P1000051.jpg

Borrowed Horse with Carol giving a wave
P1000059.jpg

Borrowed Horse and The Doll in formation
P1000065.jpg

Final RW 26 at Big Bend
P1000120.jpg

All but 2 of the RV's that made the trip
P1000126.jpg

Happy hour just getting started
P1000141.jpg

Night starting to fall
P1000148.jpg

Jay and Paul go exploring on hike #1 Saturday morning
P1000155.jpg

The Val and I got out there yesterday morning and returned this afternoon - had to be back for a commitment tomorrow morning. Non-stopped back from 3TE3 to home base on the south side of Houston - 2+41 with tailwinds at 11,500' with a smooth ride.
Paul

Paul,
Did your return flight direct require an international flight plan?

Back