What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Bear to Carson City ? Up the Owens Valley

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Californians ? you?re excused. This is old hat for you, I know.

But for those of us who grew up flying in the center of the country ? despite all the ground-bound mountaineering in my past ? well, my first flight up the Owens Valley was, to say the least, inspirational! The magnificent contrast between the forested Sierras to the west, and the desert ranges to the east was astounding, and the effect of flying along at 12,500?, with the ridges of Mount Whitney soaring another 2,000 feet higher was sobering. It was almost as if I was flying through a massive natural cathedral, high among the arches, yet humble below the spires.

I left Big Bear lake early enough to avoid the afternoon turbulence I have heard about downstream of the Sierras, and this gave me the benefit of wonderful lighting of the range itself. Joshua Approach was moderately busy with IFR traffic (mostly), and even though I got flight following from Victorville up around Edwards and nearly all the way to Bishop, they never gave me a traffic call. It was fun listening, however, as a gaggle of F-18 Hornets sounded as if they had declared war on Lone Pine, and the controllers were trying to figure out the good guys from the bad guys ? and where everyone was headed. Hey, as long as I wasn?t getting in anyone?s way, it was fine with me!

The Edwards complex is a place I fly in to regularly ? but not for real. Shooting approaches in the computer-generated world of our simulators is quick and easy, but nothing beats the real world when you?re staring down the final approach for Runway 04 at EDW. If I were in the Shuttle, I?d be landing on the lakebed at Rosamond from this view ? if I could even make that?..

IMG_4436.JPG

Starting up the Owens valley, the Sierra climbed steadily on my left, with pine forests and the high plateaus inviting thoughts of wonderful hiking and outdoors activities.

IMG_4442.JPG

To the right, off across the Basin and Range country of Nevada, promises of hardship in the parched dry desert predominated. The Owens Valley appeared as a demarcation between the Promised Land and someplace that you?d rather not end up?.

IMG_4451.JPG

Before long, Mt. Whitney and it?s surrounding battlements came in to view, awe inspiring in their steep climb from the valley floor to the top of the ?Lower 48?.

IMG_4457.JPG

Mt. Whitney itself, looming high above Lone Pine and the Whitney Portal is a place I need to add to my list ? need to make that climb while I still have the legs!

IMG_4461.JPG

Farther along route, north of Mammoth Mountain, the Minarets appeared, stabbing at the sky with their jagged spires.

IMG_4476.JPG

The odd and unique Mono Lake reminds of the tales told by Mark Twain in his landmark work ?Roughing It?. A curious body of water with odd properties, it stands out among the surrounding mountains.

IMG_4484.JPG

After a stop for inexpensive fuel in Yerrington, our future home at Dayton Valley Airpark came in to view, the Carson River leading the eye upstream to Carson City and the beautiful Sierra beyond. I couldn?t resist a quick touch and go, just to try the runway on for size. The Valkyrie approved with a subtle ?chirp?.

IMG_4501.JPG

Majestic views of California and Nevada are the reward for a couple hours of easy cruising in the RV. I can hardly wait for the chance to expand our horizons even farther as we look forward to making the area our eventual home. In the meantime, we?ll settle for these short trips to wet the appetite for what is to come!

Paul

Mono lake there is the entry point for the VR-201, a low level we run all the time.

Cool pics.

i've been up the clyde minaret, need to get up whitney also. i've been in the residential portion of that development/ runway (dayton), it looks ok

When I was last...

...at the Dayton strip I think it was called "Dayton Duster Strip" and it was dirt, and empty.

Crewed for a glider that landed there in one of the Hilton Cup contests out of Minden.

Sure looks different now...:)

PS Flying a sailplane up the Owens Valley is also a kick, and the White Mountains E of Bishop are the best thernal generators in the US..

Last edited:
Nice write-up, Paul. It's amazing how many Californians aren't aware of the Owens valley and have never been there.

Lone Pine

We 'plastic, tail first' folks have a fly-in at Lone Pine every year. I missed this year but a couple RVs came. I know you'd be welcomed. Let me know if you want in on the announcement next year.
Had a terrific tour of the movies sets in the Alabama Hills last year with a couple gals that knew every detail. Went up to the base of the trail up the mountain and enjoyed some side flights over Death Valley etc. This year the tour was of the internment camp and the movie museum. Won't miss next year.
Dayton Valley is really nice too! Great A. Palmer designed course.

Once again, Paul has mesmerized us with his magnificent language skills.
I really like this quote,

"It was almost as if I was flying through a massive natural cathedral, high among the arches, yet humble below the spires.

PS Flying a sailplane up the Owens Valley is also a kick, and the White Mountains E of Bishop are the best thernal generators in the US..

The beauty and diversity of the Eastern Sierra has been a favorite of
mine since my early teens when my parents used to rent cabins
outside of Bishop. Now my wife and I spend several weekends a year
in the Mammoth Lakes area. Two years back, my sons and I were camping
and fishing and my youngest had read about the oldest living thing on the
planet. So we took a drive to see these trees. The White Mountains are
famous for more than their lift:

The oldest (non-clonal, acknowledged) living organism known is a bristlecone pine tree nicknamed "Methuselah" (after Methuselah, the longest-lived person in the Bible). Methuselah is located in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains of eastern California, however its precise location is undisclosed by the U.S. Forest Service to protect the tree from vandalism.[3] The age of Methuselah was measured by core samples in 1957 to be 4,789 years old. (from Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Funny you should mention Mammoth....we've been hiding out there since yesterday morning. Hiked up to Ediza Lake at the base of the Minarets today (and back - 13 miles horizontal, don't how much vertical, but I need to re-acclimate from Houston!). Beautiful country, that's for sure! We're going to make a pre-dawn drive back to Carson City in the morning, grab the Val and head back to Big Bear before the daily bumps get started.

I've heard about the trees in the White Mountains - we'll visit them some day - I bet they'll wait for us....:)

Mammoth hikes

Ediza is 1,000 vertical from Agnew Meadows (did you start there?). You
walked past Shadow Lake which is one of my favorite hikes. In fact,
my wife and I will be in Mammoth the first weekend of October and
Shadow Lake is on our list. Never been to Ediza (13 mile day hike is a little to much for us). You weren't far from where they found Steve Fossett. How do
your tootsie feel :D

Thanks for posting those photos- inspirational! I flew up the Owens often after I got my license in SoCal. A reminder to keep building, for sure. I love that area, whether on wings, wheels or foot.

Dropped into Minden (in the ground transportation unit) and then up north to Reno on Sunday, enroute to the air race finals. Beautiful country as always. You'll have fun with the winds around Dayton- I could tell some stories!

...the White Mountains E of Bishop are the best thermal generators in the US..

And you get some of the best wave too.

We were up in the John Muir Wilderness west of Big Pine (about 20 miles south of Bishop) on 9/8/2010. These photos are looking due east over the Owens Valley at elevation 10,750'. The development of the rotor, lenticulars, and finally a massive roll cloud with virga beneath was pretty interesting to watch.

bclouds1.JPG

bclouds2.JPG

bclouds3.JPG

bclouds4.JPG

I was glad I wasn't flying our RV down the valley that day, though I bet some high performance sailplane pilots were getting a good ride.

--Paul

Last edited:
Ediza is 1,000 vertical from Agnew Meadows (did you start there?). You
walked past Shadow Lake which is one of my favorite hikes. In fact,
my wife and I will be in Mammoth the first weekend of October and
Shadow Lake is on our list. Never been to Ediza (13 mile day hike is a little to much for us). You weren't far from where they found Steve Fossett. How do
your tootsie feel :D

Seemed like more than 1,000, that's for sure! Beautiful hike - you could do a day up and a day back very easily. My legs are OK, but stiffened up after sitting in the Val again this morning to get back to Big Bear. Flew back via Mammoth to take pictures, and thought about going up into the mountains a bit .... then thought about the fact that we were heavy, the density altitude was high, and I didn't want to "pull a Fosset", so stayed out in the valley....

Paul

Glad you were out this way Paul. Had I known, I would have looked up. Twice... The valley sure is a scenic place.

-Garage Guy- Flying on 9-8 wasn't horrific but the 39kts of wind @ 12.5 made for a longer then expected journey. :)

Andrew in Bishop

Back