What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beware Jake's Pilot Shop

Daver

Well Known Member
I REALLY hate this!

I ordered a new intercomm from Jake's Pilot shop several months ago.

Never shipped.

I worked with Wayne (tried to anyway) to either get my merchandise or get a refund.

Wayne was alway apologetic and promised a refund (finally) but it was not to be.

I can't believe a fellow aviator in the business would "sell" his good name
and reputation for the paltry sum of $181.

It makes me sad more than angry.

Just a warning....

Dave

Thanks for the tip...

There seem to be a few of these sorts of businesses around. Might be nice if there were forum or thread or something with business ratings and comments, so before shelling out sizeable money, buyers could take a look to see if a business seems reputable or not.

I've always received everything I paid for, but in one instance (flap pushrods...not recently), it took ages and the customer service was basically non-existent. Won't ever use that company again, certainly.

Conversely, nearly all of the companies I've interfaced with have been terrific, even the single-person outfits...it'd be nice to give them a thumbs-up, as well.

Just a thought...

mostly good...

Steve,

I agree. I've mostly had great luck buying airplane stuff.

I've sent off checks for various things & received the mechandise as advertised.

Its just disappointing when you get burned.

I still tend to trust people though......

Dave

JAKES

About all you can do is warn others and stick to the facts of the matter. I've been shopping companies like Sporty's for 40 years. They cost a little more but they never fail to deliver. They value their reputation as you do your own. You are only as good as your word and sadly some people are not.

Thanks for the heads up!

Problems with Avcomm/Jake's

Jake's Pilot Shop has been in business for a solid 8 years now providing the best prices on Aviaition/Pilot Supply gear.
Unfortunetully we have had problems with Avcomm this last 6 months and it seems as though they are going out of business.

We were getting told that the Headsets and Intercoms were on the way each time we had contacted AvComm until finally we gave up..

We hve now found one of our vendors "Aviall" has 8 intercoms left in stock and will be here in our shop within two weeks..

We are soory about this customer issue with us.. We tried to keep in good contact with the customer and this issue.

Many of the customers e-mails were going and being marked as SPAM...Very sorry about that, and will make good with our customer as we value each and every customer within our small pilot community.

We have thousands of satisified customers here at Jake's Pilot Shop and yes on occasion we will experience a problem with a specific order as all other shops will experience on occasion. Even Sporty's.. Unfortunetly we are not yet at Sporty's level but hope to be in time. We have seen growth every year since we started..Please give us a try!
http://jakespilotshop.com/
Please check out Jake's Pilot Shop for your aviation needs.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Jerry, welcome to VAF.

It is good to have another vendor aboard, and I for one, an glad you got to explain your side of the story.

Sounds like the matter is on the way to being resolved.

I agree with Mike. I am glad you had a chance to explain your situation on this thread. However, it seems to me your company would have been better off to deal with this customer before it ever got to the point where he felt the need to post to a forum such as this.

It may seem like a bad situation when you may have to refund someone their payment when you had little control over the merchandise delivery. Eating money is never a pleasant experience but eating a relative small amount on a sale such as this pales in comparison to the negative publicity this kind of post can have on the long term success of a business.

Just my .02.

placed order last October

I ordered this intercomm last October.

Numerous back & forth e-mails the last 3 months with Wayne.

I was always polite.

Here's the last e-mail I received Dec 23 (more that 6 weeks ago):

"Hi David,

Not sure if you received my phone reply.. our e-mail is back up now.

Sorry about this. I thought that this order had been taken care of and shipped direct from Avcomm. I received the order confirmation from Tom at Avcomm way back when I order this intercom,

I know that Avcomm has been having financial problems and headsets are completely out of stock.

We will refund your order no problem.

Thank you David, and again I am really sorry about this"

This e-mail was received after numerous other e-mails I sent over the last several months always resulted in some other kind of excuse.

Interestingly, Jake's still shows the item I ordered on their web site.

Its not my intent to "bash" anyone, but this is a shameful way for a customer to be treated.

Jake's can post excuses here but the facts are the facts.

I've saved ALL the e-mails and can back up my story.

Dave

It may seem like a bad situation when you may have to refund someone their payment when you had little control over the merchandise delivery. Eating money is never a pleasant experience but eating a relative small amount on a sale such as this pales in comparison to the negative publicity this kind of post can have on the long term success of a business.

Just my .02.

Yeah: Sorry! + Refund = All Good. (the first few times)

Or in a similar vein...I've bought a lot from folks on VAF. On the last one...got an email a bit later asking about the check. ****! Sent out that night of course, but we all make mistakes. Really matters how we fix them, and then avoid them in the future.

Sporty's has always done me right with fast service and competitive pricing. Right now I am dealing with OMT Chroming (also on this forum) and am at my wits end,,,,,,,,they have had my -10 steps for over a month now and I need them back,,,, done or not. I get nothing but one excuse after another. Sorry Jake,,,,but I have no sympathy with your excuses what so ever. That simple matter should have been taken care of before you did anything else that day. Its called "Customer Service".;)

I don't know Jake or have any connection to him. However, I've been peddling trinkets to the RV guys for about 5 years now and have learned a few things.

I have no intent here to defend or tear down anyone. All I can say is that all of us who try to sell to the RVers are really stepping out in faith when we do it.

It's tough enough to find a product that guys want and is a good value for all involved, but then throw in suppliers, shipping, accounting, taxes, inventory, payment processing, and all of the stuff that has to happen behind the scenes and it can quickly make a sane, happy RVer want to pull his hair out.

Accounting and tax preparation (the same thing, really) are the worst. Gack, the government seems to think that small businesses have unlimited time and resources to use on whatever the gov't wants.

I am always sad when I see that someone has violated the trust of the RV crowd. While there certainly are jerks, idiots, and outright crooks out there, most of us RV supplier types are doing this because we love aviation. If we break even, good, and if we actually come out ahead - GREAT!

Please be aware that most of us haven't quit our day jobs... nor will we anytime soon!

I do strongly agree that it would be great if Doug Reeves (or one of his minions) could devise a rating system for vendors and other sellers on this forum. One easy way would be for Doug to post a vendor list with how long a vendor has been an advertiser on this forum. Contact info would be good. An ebay type rating system might be nice too... but a lot of work and subject to errors.

Fly safely, spend wisely!

Doesn't Matter

What is said --- in cases like this, a QUICK REFUND is the best way out for the customer and for the vendor. That way, the customer can move on. My opinion.

Same old thing

I'm at the end of my rope with Jake's...
My wife thought she was getting me a great gift for Christmas from Jake's and sent them a check for some flight shirts. The first three attempts to follow up the order were responded to apologetically and that they would be sent out the following Monday. Still no shirts. Over the past four months I have tried to contact them by phone and email for a refund with no success and no response. I have a copy of the cancelled check (January) for the merchandise and my order still remains in 'pending' status. I even contacted runwaypilot.com where Jake's said the mixup was and they responded that 'they (Jake's) had mentioned it to them but never received an order'. I agree with Daver and would be very carefull ordering from this company, unfortunately family members don't think to research these sites. On the lighter side I guess this is the gift that lasts year round!!
Andy

Credit card

If I can't use a credit card I won't buy from anyone. I have no problem paying a extra 5% to use one. If there is a problem the credit card company can deal with it.

Doesn't the simple art of spelling tell a story?

The grammar is telling too. The real issue is simple, it is all about communication. If "Jake" runs out of an item, or the supplier doesn't come through, all he needs to do is contact the customer quickly and explain the problem and offer a refund. "Jake" fails to understand that the money belongs to the customer until the goods are delivered.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I have been working with the forums since thier inception and I agree that if a vendor can't deliver, the best policy is to refund the customer's money immediately. I find that most RV'ers are very understanding of special situations on the part of the Vendor but being one myself I see no excuse for a 6 month lag time. A part can always be re-ordered when it is in stock by the customer. I would never blame a shipper as I feel the final responsibility is mine alone. If a customer is not happy, refund-no questions asked. On spelling and grammar-being a former school teacher, I catch this all of the time. People have gotten lazier about proofing what they write and poor writing makes a person look uneducated. Especially with spell and grammar check. Typos do happen but they are obvious. (Foreign bloggers excepted)

International Fruad - Jakes Pilot shop

Hello VAF Forum, I have also been ripped off by Wayne Jacques (alias Jerry) to the tune of US$1,937.12.

It started after the local RAAF Williamtown changed the rules governing some of our gliding sites in the Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia. This meant that we would be required to be licensed to use and also carry VHF radios to glide at our best sites. We all sat and passed our VHF exams and then needed radios.
Due to the unexpected cost (about AU$400 each in Australia) to my fellow club members, I searched world wide to find the best package deal on the ICOM IC-A14. Wayne was very accommodating and very polite through the whole process. I transferred the money (US$1937.12) to this account:

Wayne G Jacques
US Bank
Safeway Heritage Branch
Routing Number: 125000105
Acct number" 153563192969

After that Wayne provided me with a tracking number and said that the order was on the way. Unfortunately for us; Wayne lied about sending the shipment and had actually 'fabricated' the shipping and tracking numbers. It took a lot of calling to international shipping companies and Wayne's bank to try and track down this money/freight. Wayne's lies eventually crumbled and he admitted committing fraud.

Wayne will never answer the phone calls I place to his shop and stopped responding to my emails. I resorted to calling the Vancouver police and after some initial phone conversations I have been in continual email contact with Officer Ron Stevens. He is doing the best he can to help me, but unfortunately the laws in Washington state mean that the criminal prosecutor cannot act on a civil business transaction.

The reason for my posting here is that I wanted any help that some of you might be able to offer on how I can pursue Wayne Jacques for a refund or delivery of goods. At the moment, he has stolen the money and apparently cannot be forced to refund.
All help welcomed. Thank you all in advance
Joshua

Hello VAF Forum, I have also been ripped off by Wayne Jacques (alias Jerry) to the tune of US$1,937.12.

It started after the local RAAF Williamtown changed the rules governing some of our gliding sites in the Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia. This meant that we would be required to be licensed to use and also carry VHF radios to glide at our best sites. We all sat and passed our VHF exams and then needed radios.
Due to the unexpected cost (about AU$400 each in Australia) to my fellow club members, I searched world wide to find the best package deal on the ICOM IC-A14. Wayne was very accommodating and very polite through the whole process. I transferred the money (US$1937.12) to this account:

Wayne G Jacques
US Bank
Safeway Heritage Branch
Routing Number: 125000105
Acct number" 153563192969

After that Wayne provided me with a tracking number and said that the order was on the way. Unfortunately for us; Wayne lied about sending the shipment and had actually 'fabricated' the shipping and tracking numbers. It took a lot of calling to international shipping companies and Wayne's bank to try and track down this money/freight. Wayne's lies eventually crumbled and he admitted committing fraud.

Wayne will never answer the phone calls I place to his shop and stopped responding to my emails. I resorted to calling the Vancouver police and after some initial phone conversations I have been in continual email contact with Officer Ron Stevens. He is doing the best he can to help me, but unfortunately the laws in Washington state mean that the criminal prosecutor cannot act on a civil business transaction.

The reason for my posting here is that I wanted any help that some of you might be able to offer on how I can pursue Wayne Jacques for a refund or delivery of goods. At the moment, he has stolen the money and apparently cannot be forced to refund.
All help welcomed. Thank you all in advance
Joshua
Looks like he is on the Green MT. Airport, I know some people there, I'll see what I can find out.

Jake's got me too

I ordered a book that they didn't have. Got no response to my email for a long time, then this.

"I am sorry we had been moving our office during the week of the 12th our phones were not hooked up and we had our office internet disconnected during the phase of the move..We must have missed your e-mail.
I just looked up your order and found out that this book is no longer available. We will refund your order.."

That was a year ago, and I still have no refund. Luckily for me, it was a small amount, so my time is too valuable (to me, anyway) to spend trying to get them to do the right thing. But my money is too valuable (to me) to even think of doing business with a place like that. "Cheat me once, shame on you...Cheat me twice, shame on me"

Last edited:
Spread the word. He is now listed on POA site:D. He gives excuses long enough to get payment from the CC company.

Do a search of "Beware Jakes Pilot Shop or BBB". We should do this before dealing with any company. I was burnt on a $1224 home appliance 11 yrs ago. Last time I ever paid anyone that was not super well known before goods or services were received. We have local businesses that take customers money, don't pay their vendors, file bankruptcy, then start back up under a different name and repeat. Don't expect anything from going to the courthouse, they don't have time to deal with it. Times are tough(I am self-employed), but one just has to cut their spending.

Unfortunately I've seen this happen way too many times now. Jerry/Wayne Jacques (same person) will take customers money and then never deliver the product. He is always making excuses and stories (as I've heard from the aviation community) I've even seen him fake shipping and customs information (as he did to my friend that tried purchasing an ICOM radio from him).

I'm urging people who have been scammed by Jake's Pilot Shop to file a complaint with the U.S. Internet Crime Complaint Center maintained by the F.B.I. (http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx) and contact the Vancouver, Washington Police (http://www.cityofvancouver.us/police.asp).

One report isn't very likely to stop him, but if enough people report Mr. Jacques we may be able to stop him from stealing from this awesome community.

-Ryan

Welcome to VAF!!

Ryan, welcome to VAF.

Sorry your reason to join is tied to a scam artist, but hope you will find VAF to be worthy of your expectations:D

Good to have you aboard.

If you don't receive what you order from an internet merchant, complain to your credit card company and put the charge in dispute. They will reach into the merchant's checking account and remove the money. This is called a chargeback. If the money isn't there to grab, they will shut down his merchant account. There are limits to how long you can wait until putting this in dispute, so be aggressive about this. Also, he should never charge your card until the product is ready to ship, so if you see a charge on your account and nothing has been received in a reasonable time (based on how you shipped it), then dispute it!

Back