What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bevel the lower corners of the spar

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
OK, I need some advice. I am working on the wing attachment section 44. Page 44-2, Step 3 states:"Bevel the lower corners of the F-1004A and B Center Section Bulkheads as well as the F-1004F and H Center Section Lower Forward and Aft Bars..........."

The detail shows the removal of material from the lower section of the spar. Any advice on the tool to use since this a fairly thick material? It seems a file would take forever, but I hate to use a power tool on the main spare.

OK, I need some advice. I am working on the wing attachment section 44. Page 44-2, Step 3 states:"Bevel the lower corners of the F-1004A and B Center Section Bulkheads as well as the F-1004F and H Center Section Lower Forward and Aft Bars..........."

The detail shows the removal of material from the lower section of the spar. Any advice on the tool to use since this a fairly thick material? It seems a file would take forever, but I hate to use a power tool on the main spare.

I used a small belt sander.

Getting close to doing that myself, but haven't yet. Was thinking I would use my rotary file in the air 'drill' and smooth out with a hand file. Interested to see what others say.

Also wondering why Van's didn't tell us to do this a long time ago when it would have been easier to do ' on the bench' before it was assembled.

Jim

A vixen file will do it quickly. Start with the larger tooth pitch to shape it and then switch to the smaller pitch side to smooth. The spar is too big to take to the grinder, so I will be using the small deburring wheels available for the dremel to final polish when I get that far.

A hand file it is. I don't have a small belt sander!

Harbor Freight is you friend (most of the time). I've had plenty of uses for this during the build. It's only $25.

image_3734.jpg

The electric version was a piece of junk, but this one I have has worked pretty good for me. The model I have must have been discontinued. It's not listed on their web site. They put 20% off coupons in our Sunday paper, which makes it even more attractive.

Back