What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Better Looking Fit Possible?

JohnF

Well Known Member
Page 17-05, step 5...attaching the forward wing tip rib.

I had no problem fluting the rib to fit the curve of the skin, but when every hole is clecoed there is what at first looks like a sersies of holes along the outer edge, actually they are the round inner 'gap' between the 6 or so tabs that make up the front edge...will look like some sort of holes unless I can somehow change things...since the holes can all be clecoed to the upper skin there is not much that can be done it seems...I recall seeing the first RV12 demo at OSH and thought that looked rather poor....I suppose I can use micracle fill or somesuch filler prior to painting to close those holes up, but would like to somehow hide them while in the bare aluminum stage.

How did you wing tips come out?

Mine look the same way

I think all the wingtips come out looking that way. I know mine did. I agree those holes don't look very cool and I wish they had come up with a better design. However, I don't think you can change anything and stay within the SLSA specs. Maybe post-certification someone will come up with a way to pretty them up.

I thought I did something wrong, but at Sun-Fun I looked at he red one and it looks the same. You can also see them in the sun-n-fun video that was posted in this forum. Out of the entire plane I think this area is the only place that looks shotty.

Better fit on wing tip.

I used a narrow strip of fiberglass cloth with epoxy on the inside of the tip prior to closing the bottom. I will use some type of filler during the painting process. I consider this part of finishing and not an alteration.

DeltaHotel
N127PH
RV-12 SN027
PH is for wife
Wings finished
Tail feathers finished
Working on tail cone

Back