What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to connect 2 Dynon SV's 37-pin signals?

bruceh

Well Known Member
Friend
I just spent a small fortune on my initial avionics stack. Right now I'm just trying to get in the air, but I'm sure down the road I will be adding a second Skyview display to the panel. I want to pre-wire the panel for dual displays now, while it is easier. Connecting the SV's via their Network cable (9-pin D-sub) is simple, but on the big 37 pin D-sub there are many signals that need to be shared (serial lines for GPS, data acquisition, ELT, Transponder, lines for future audio support). The Skyview Network splitter cable has signal lines coming together at a D-sub connector pin. I'm wondering if this method would be the best way for the signals on the larger 37 pin connector. Looking at the small machined D-sub pins, it is a very tight fit to get the 2 wires wedged in there together. Other options would be to use some sort of termial block with Faston connectors to split and share these signals.
Anyone already dealt with this issue? Pictures would be helpful. I'm a newbie when it comes to wiring.

Bruce- I frequently split signal lines like that in the middle of the run, making a "Y" connection with a bit of solder and an inch of heat shrink for a neat connection.

Bruce- I frequently split signal lines like that in the middle of the run, making a "Y" connection with a bit of solder and an inch of heat shrink for a neat connection.

Exactly what I did with my custom Skyview servo cables....:)

Stagger the joints a little to make less of a bulge in the cable.

what to split

Bruce, most of the data sharing stuff is handled by over the Dynon network cable between the two (or more) displays. A couple things are shared via an ethernet cable between the two displays. The only thing you really want to plan for later is making a provision for splitting the 5 sets of serial ports. I used a barrier strip as opposed to doing "Y" connections, but either will work.

Avionics Interconnect

I used a small interconnect circuit that I had fabricated. The pins are all connected in parallel across connectors (i.e. pin 1 on each connector is connected).

IMG_9403.JPG

Here's the circuit board so you can see how they're connected. There are a few extra holes between connectors if you need to insert extra components between lines (e.g. resistors, diodes, etc.).

IMG_9375.JPG

This allows you to just bring all of the SkyView audio, dimming, and serial lines from one screen into one connector and from a second screen into a second connector and that will automatically connect the lines. Other devices that need to be connected to these lines can be connected to one of the three remaining connectors.

IMG_0042.JPG

I have a couple more of these circuits available if you're interested in one.

Aww shucks, you guys.... you have forced me to move my new website rollout up a couple of days. I will be posting a general notice on VAF, but here's the essence of it.

For many reasons, Vx Aviation has decided to stop manufacturing avionics devices. Rather than let these innovative designs fade away into obsucurity, I've decided to release them as 'freeware' for non commercial applications.

This means that you can now go to our site and get the documentation and schematics that you need to roll-your-own.

If you want to get editable information including pcb artwork, contact me from the site and I'll email it to you.

Standard caveats apply, including copyright and maskworks protection.

Enjoy. This site will be updated often: www.vx-aviation.com

Also, if anyone else want to share their designs, I can post them on the Vx Aviation site.

Thanks, Vern

Vern, that is a great service to the builder community to open source these. I took a look at your documentation last night on the AXIS products and these look really nice. If I had a more complex set of avionics and instruments, these would be the ticket.

There must be a way

On the Skyview Y harnesses, there are (2) 22 awg wires going into one pin. So there must be a way. Anyone else have a trick for this? I need to joint two Data 1 and Data 2 networks pairs together like the Y harness, but without using the Y harness.

Back