What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best pneumatic squeezers

diamond

Well Known Member
I'd like some opinions on what the best pneumatic squeezer for the money is. Let me clarified that I am not interested in discussion of the hydro-pneumatic squeezer in this thread, as I am well aware of that option. Are some of the conventional squeezers smaller and lighter than the rest, or are they all generally the same size and weight? Also, which ones come with lifetime warranty? Thanks

Not sure about "new" but my "older" rebuilt one is magnesium and is noticeably lighter than the aluminum ones.
I got it from Bob Avery several airplanes ago.

I think some are US made ... and some are Chinese clones .... I would get one with adjustable piston and made in US ...

If you are looking at the usual suspects .. Avery, Brown, Cleveland, Isham ... I would ask where it is made ... Somebody told me that the grey painted unit sold by Isham is US made .. but not sure how true that is ... Also I have never seen one that has a lifetime warranty

I think some are US made ... and some are Chinese clones .... I would get one with adjustable piston and made in US ...

If you are looking at the usual suspects .. Avery, Brown, Cleveland, Isham ... I would ask where it is made ... Somebody told me that the grey painted unit sold by Isham is US made .. but not sure how true that is ... Also I have never seen one that has a lifetime warranty

What do you mean by adjustable piston?

The max force of the squeezer is right at the very end of the stroke of the piston – if you have a ‘fixed piston’ you have the mess around with small shims / washers under the set when you drive different size rivets – as you have to let the piston come to max stroke to get the full force to set the rivet. So having a adjustable piston makes it very easy and fast to adjust for different size rivets .. you just screw the piston in or out to ensure you get the piston at full stroke to set the rivet right. Drop send me an email and I can send you a few photos

Language Subtleties....

I think that Jan might be slightly confusing the issue because of the old English Language. Here in the colonies, we refer to an "adjustable set holder", not an adjustable "piston". The piston is an internal component of the squeezer, whereas the set holder is something that goes in the yoke - and works EXACTLY as Jan says.

"Two great countries, separated by a common language!" :D

BTW, I want Mel to adopt me so that I can inherit his titanium squeezer some day....:p

Last edited:
So are you talking about an adjustable set holder when you say adjustable piston? I see that some of the tool companies sell an adjustable set holder for about $70, but I don't see any squeezers that have an adjustable piston as a standard feature.

Yes ... ;-) ... "Adjustable set holder" ... is the correct description ... and is a great time saver .. makes it so easy to go from one rivet size to the next ...

I think that Jan might be slightly confusing the issue because of the old English Language. Here in the colonies, we refer to an "adjustable set holder", not an adjustable "piston". The piston is an internal component of the squeezer, whereas the set holder is something that goes in the yoke - and works EXACTLY as Jan says.

"Two great countries, separated by a common language!" :D

BTW, I want Mel to adopt me so that I can inherit his titanium squeezer some day....:p

TRANSLATION: From English to English:

Titanium = Magnesium

:eek: Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself: In a former life I was a proofreader at a publishing company. :p

here's a little heads up when you do buy one..........find out the distance when the ram is closed as you will probably have to buy more flat rivit sets and maybe a shorter cupped set. my opening on the one i got yesterday is 5/8''. exactly the thickness of my cupped set and my 1/8'' flat set.
i chose a non adjustable squeezer for price and i like the idea of using a different rivit set height and maybe a shim to get a repeatable squeezed rivit thickness. from my very limited experience with the adjustment on a hand squeezer the adjustment is all eyeball and i couldn't say rivits from 2 weeks ago are exactly the same as yesterdays.
so today i will but more ''tools''

it NEVER ends!

Back