What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best place for fuel return line?

Randy Walls

I still have no idea what engine I will be using. So I plan to put a 3/8 bulkhead fitting in each fuel tank and cap it off so I can install return lines if I need them later. My question is where would be the best place to put them in the tank to make connecting to them easier?

Randy,

If I recall, most advice said to put it low (I assume to avoid making bubbles) and straight through into the second bay (I assume to allow the fuel to cool before re-entering the pickup tube).

I did mine slightly different. I did mine at the top of the tank, made a 90 degree turn forward and terminated it very close to the upper curving forward skin of the tank. All well supported of course. My theory was that it would not make bubbles if the fuel "wetted" the skin on an angle very close to the skin. Also, it would still be in the same fuel bay (not having to come back through the baffle) but not too close to the fuel pickup. The leading edge must have some serious cooling "power" if the fuel did pick up any heat from the engine/pumps.

Not flying yet so I can't say how this will work out. By the way, I also ran return lines all the way through the cabin including a dual fuel valve from Andair. I plan on using a fuel return system such as ECI.

Bevan
RV7A wiring now

Back