What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best place for avionics trays?

N9331v

Well Known Member
I'm starting my panel and I'm thinking of buying the racks now then the big stuff as I get closer to completion.
Anyone know if avionics shops do this ? If so any tips on the best places to buy avionics trays, connectors etc would be appreciated

Ed

I did this.....

With Tim at Faststack Approach Systems. I shopped hard. He had the best price on equipment. Sent trays and waited until I was ready. His hub system is really easy & painless. Customer service is excellent.

Several places do what you are asking.
Stein Air, Stark Avionics are a couple.

If you are going to buy Garmin products, the trays are supposed to be wired up by an authorized dealer. Stark wired up my trays and I bought the big pieces a couple of years later. Stein does the same thing. They will pig tail out everything that needs to be connected to the airframe.
I did buy all of my wiring supplies from Stein.

I also went with Tim at Approach Faststack. He really worked with me on price and the customer service is great. Tim is very personable and very easy to work with. Give him a call and talk with him. They have a web page.

Radio racks

Tim at Approach Faststack is where I got my rack and other equipment. First class service, HONEST, and very easy to deal with. I also bought my avionics from him as a package deal and I couldn't beat his prices anywhere. This was a lot of money to me and I felt comfortable dealing with him. Not advertising for him, just my experience.

RV7A
Wiring and tubing.

You don't have to have the trays wired up in order to buy them...you can get the trays ahead of time with no wiring. If you watch the classifieds you'll often see trays for sale with no backplate or parts, just the tray (we have some for sale there cheap right now). We usually have stacks of trays laying around that we'll be happy to get rid of pretty cheaply. We go through lots and lots of them so depending on what you want we might even have them laying around here and they'd be cheaper than ordering new. Anyway, just wanted to clarify the wiring situation.

Cheers,
Stein

How long are the wires when they are pigtailed on to the plugs?

If you get harnesses they will be however long you want them....depends on the stack and the arrangement of radios on your panel and between various components (autopilot, EFIS, indicators, headset/mic jacks, PTT's, power, grounds, etc..). We don't have a "default" harness, because everyone's needs are typically different.

Cheers,
Stein

I guess I'll place a plug here... A few weeks ago I sent ONE email to Stein in need of a Garmin tray and connector kit. Of course, I knew exactly what I wanted so we didn't have to play 20-questions. A few days later, a perfect package of exactly what I ordered showed up at my door with an invoice. I just can't say enough how valuable that kind of zero effort (on my part) service is to me.

Back