What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best overnight field for Colorado Springs visit?

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
I have a wedding to attend next Saturday in Manitou Springs and, if weather cooperates, I plan to fly my -6 up on Friday (5/21) and head home on Sunday (5/23). I'll need to rent a car with the commonly problematic Sunday return. Any suggestions of the best place to fly into and rent a car on a civil servant's budget?

Thanks for any help! (And, before anyone asks the usual question, Paul can't join me as he has to stay in Houston for the current mission.)

The Main Airport there worked for me

We flew there a few years ago and tied down at the FBO on the west side of the Colorado Springs main airport. Rental car was not unusual price wise and I turned it back in on Sunday. I wouldn't think things have gone crazy since then but you never know. Anyway, it worked for me.

Bob Axsom

I have had Bob's experience. Unless things have changed recently, that is pretty much the only choice.

Last time I was in Colorado Springs was without my airplane 10 or 12 years ago. There are several RVs and an EAA chapter at Meadow Lake. Not sure what the car situation is like there.

Was in COS last weekend visiting my son who lives there. Flew up in the RV-8. COS airport is a good place. Cutter Aviation is friendly but gas is expensive. Would suggest stopping at La Junta inbound. Gas was $3.80 self-service. Friendly guy at the FBO as well. It is about 30 minutes out of COS and very little traffic. Meadow Lake has lots of RV's and is a good place to visit as well while you are in the area. As a reminder to us flatlander's, don't forget to lean before take off.... tom schad RV-8 flying RV-6 under construction.

We used Colorado Jet Center...

...at COS since we had flown from their other facility at Ft. Collins.

No problem getting in with a small plane, we were treated well, and they had rental cars at usual prices on site, IIRC. Tie down fees were low enough I don't remember them...:)

I asked for 17R (or 35L) and made it an easy taxi to the FBOs and you stay away from the airline and air base sides of the airport.

Looking on airnav, 100LL seems to be $4.93, I guess in line with large airports these days.

Go to the Air Force Academy if you have time and see the famous chapel, well worth a visit.

KCOS

Louise,

Colorado Springs is the only place you'll find a car in the springs. It's a busy little class C but they get you in and out without much problem.

Thanks, all

I suspected COS was the only real option but it's reassuring to hear that folks have had good experiences spending the night there. I've flown into all the local airports but never had to rent a car before (nor stayed overnight at COS). I'll call one or both FBOs tomorrow.

Thanks!

Is COS still the only real option for overnights?

and was FBO you all used Cutter Aviation or Colorado Jet Center?

I'm visiting the USAFA for a couple of days but I'm getting a rental car and driving around the greater area so I don't really have to park as close to the Academy as possible.

Lucky, go to KCOS. The rental car logistics at Meadow Lake (KFLY) are not the best.

KPUB or KLHX for fuel (check airnav)

I'm visiting the USAFA for a couple of days but I'm getting a rental car and driving around the greater area so I don't really have to park as close to the Academy as possible.

The previous trip I mentioned used the Colorado Jet Center - was treated well by them here and in Ft. Collins.

They had my National rental car waiting for me right on the ramp.

I don't remember the tie-down fee but it was reasonable and certainly not at the :eek: level.

I'm a fan of Colorado Jet Center. Cutter is a good FBO, as well, but prices are usually higher there.

Beware May 19 - 25th

Air Force Academy Graduation. Colorado Springs in general and rental cars specifically will be busy.

Academy Graduation

My son is graduating this May and getting married 3 days later! What a rush! Because We have a lot of luggage and a very tight schedule, it's the big aluminum tube for us.

For those who are flying GA, I can tell you to get a car lined up as soon as possible and I hope you already have a place to stay.

Although I've never flown into COS GA, I can't give you a first hand report other than to say that I drove to the two FBO's last year when I didn't have much to do and both were very friendly. I just found out that my son and new wife will both be stationed in the Springs for the next 3 or 4 years, her at Peterson and he at Schriever. Should have plenty of opportunities to fly out in the future :D

Colorado Jet Center worked out well

I used Colorado Jet Center last May and I was completely happy with the experience.

COS RV'ers?

If there are any RV'ers in the area, I'll be in the Springs between the 21st and the 30th. Although the schedule is almost completely full, I would love to squeeze in a ride in a RV-7 if possible. I am building a 7a and it will be done in about a year. It has been over two years sense my last RV ride so it would be a lot of fun to see how they fly around the mountains, hint hint ;)

I will even buy the gas!

Last edited:
AF Academy

The AF Academy is not to be missed if you are visiting the area as well as Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, etc. When I read about your son's graduation in May Paul K I was impressed. The AF Academy was just being started in Denver during my first year in the Air Force. A few years ago I gave two brothers in our neighborhood a Young Eagles flight in our RV-6A. Both are now cadets in the AF Academy. Their name is Abrecht. One is probably in his third year now and the other is in his first. Enjoy the graduation and your visit.

Bob Axsom

I also recommend a visit to the Academy. Especially if you can get there to see graduation. Anytime you're in Colorado though, pack clothes for all four seasons. Graduation 2007 people were having heat stroke, graduation 2008 it snowed. Turns out graduation 2010 was the best ever!

Cutter aviation would be the one I would use. A couple years ago my dad flew in to pick me up for Thanksgiving. They drove him all the way to the Academy to pick me up and then back to the airport (with traffic/construction about 45 minutes each way). All he did was fill up with gas there.

And they have delicious cookies.

Academy

Thanks Bob,

We are very proud of our son and enjoy every visit. We have done all of the things you listed plus biking, white water rafting, and hiking. It's a beautiful place and we can't wait to get back.

Shows the value of the Young Eagles program. I've talked to a lot of Young Eagles about where they want to go in their lives with a few talking about the academy. Not sure if any have applied but it would be great if I could have any influence at all in their lives. Young Eagles rock!

My son is graduating this May and getting married 3 days later! What a rush! Because We have a lot of luggage and a very tight schedule, it's the big aluminum tube for us.

For those who are flying GA, I can tell you to get a car lined up as soon as possible and I hope you already have a place to stay.

Although I've never flown into COS GA, I can't give you a first hand report other than to say that I drove to the two FBO's last year when I didn't have much to do and both were very friendly. I just found out that my son and new wife will both be stationed in the Springs for the next 3 or 4 years, her at Peterson and he at Schriever. Should have plenty of opportunities to fly out in the future :D

Timing is everything, ours is not the best! My son starts the AF Academy this summer and my sister and husband (both majors in the AF) are being PCS'd to Kirtland AFB from Nellis though they were pulling hard to go back to the Springs area. It would have been just too perfect if they could have snagged an assignment back there. Just prior to Nellis they were stationed in the CS area (sister was at NORAD in Cheyenne Mountain and the other I think was a Satellite Control Officer at Schriever). We've done all the outdoor vacation stuff mentioned so far, and more, but are still really looking forward to visiting a lot more. It's a neat area but the weather seems very wierd to this casual observer from the East Coast! That part kind of spooks me. So that brings up one thing I remember hearing about and that is major sized HAIL that can occur in that area. Is that right? Is leaving a plane out in the open for a week while visiting is a real risk out there? Just wondering...

While the hail can grow fairly large, in the two of my four years at USAFA when I was allowed to have a car, it only ever hailed the small soft stuff. I don't seem to remember anything drastic from the first two years, either.

I'd say the more immediate threat would be strong winds from cloud bursts and random wind gusts off the mountains. Not all that uncommon to see 60-70 mph gusts.

Statistically small but real risk

The Springs probably get damaging hail about once every three to five years, I'd estimate. I had an insurance adjuster tell me that NO ONE pays for their own roof repair/replacement in C/S (as long as they have insurance) because they are all hail damaged. And, yes, my homeowners insurance was high. In addition, there are frequent thunderstorms and a buddy of mine had his panel fried by a lightening strike out at the Patterson Aeroclub years ago. I sure wouldn't want to live there (again) and own a tied down plane but the statistics are definately with you for a visit.

Wind? Yep, there are healthy winds in the Front Range but Carlsbad, New Mexico, taught me that even the winds are not that great for the West. However, make sure you tie down tightly.

Back