What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best method for rib edge finishing

KC10FE

I find myself thinking there is a better and faster way to edge finish ribs and other parts. Currently I am using a deburring tool to knock down the hard edges, but is only good on straight edges. When trying to finish a rib with all the tight angles, I have to use either a file or 400 grit sandpaper. The plans say you can use a scotchbrite wheel but i find it really hard (impossible) to get in the tight areas.....Please help me save time! Thanks!

I used a 90 degree air die grinder with 2" blue scothbrite wheels. Went through a lot of pads during the build...............but they sure work well, and leave a very smooth edge.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I did mine manually

I used red scotch-bright pads cut in quarters on the bandsaw.
I de-burred with a very fine 6" mill file and then, by hand rubbed all the applicable edges fairly vigorously.

It was actually therapeutic and safe for all structures.

No persons or wildlife were harmed during this process.;)

Rib Edge Finishing

I don't think there is a "best" way, only the one that works for you. I would suggest deburring the ribs before you flute them (not an insult, I did a few of mine after fluting). I use a variety of methods, most in combination, including:
-a V edge deburring bit that gets both sides in one pass. Use this lightly and make several passes, it's very easy to "chatter" the tool and the marks take a long time to get out.
-a single blade deburring bit that can be used on small features such as flange bending reliefs
-files including a 4" and a 10", various cuts
-a 6" scotchbrite wheel on a grinder. This gets a number of grooves worn in it over time and these can be used to guide the edge as well as deburr both sides of the edge. On most ribs, the flanged edges can be deburred with this wheel
-a 2" and a 1" scotchbrite wheel usually on an air drill, sometimes on the drill press. These are especially handy on lightening holes.
-a Cratex 777 wheel kit and a dremel tool for really fine work
http://www.cratex.com/rubkits.htm
But it is still a lot of work to get good smooth deburred edges on sheet metal parts!

It is a lot of work! I did all mine in about 16hrs and as others have said, there is no easy way. I used pads, wheels, files and sandpaper to get the job done. I had to tell myself that I was not doing anything else until I was finished and that is all I really did for 2 days. Good luck!

Ditto

I used a 90 degree air die grinder with 2" blue scothbrite wheels. Went through a lot of pads during the build...............but they sure work well, and leave a very smooth edge.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Right angle and roloc pads are a builders friend.

Scotchbrite wheel and 180-320 grit sandpaper.

Used table top mounted belt/disc combo sander and also used a 1 1/2" drum sander for lightning holes. Back to panel wiring this evening.

Metal Edging

You could invest about $100 on a 1/2" pnuematic belt sander. The unit is about the size of small angle grinder. Check at Harbor Freight they use to carry the tool and belts. Fast and easy to use on all ribs, particularly the inside radius and all bulkheads.
Charlie, RV-7 Flying, Tucson AZ

Metal Edging

Try this from Harbor Freight. Works great!

Air Belt Sander

Item # 97055 Manufacturer: Central Pneumatic

Charlie, RV-7 Flying

Back