What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best location for my new battery on an RV4 (O-360)

N605RV

Hi everyone,
My battery is mounted between my knees and behind a vertical console making it next to impossible to access (former builder's idea, not mine). Now that I'm totally redoing my panel I'd like to move it forward (I plan to buy a smaller, lighter Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery).
Suggestions for the best, easiest to access location? On the engine side of the firewall? The aft side of the firewall? Up high? lower? On the engine mount?
Thank you!
N605RV in Colorado

When I completely rebuilt the panel in my RV4 I put the battery and aux. battery on the firewall in the engine compartment. Works just great and easy access thru the oil door for connecting a battery charger.

FYI

The battery location in the tunnel was original to the plans - way back when the lighter Lithium-Ion batteries were not an option.

The lower center panel, which interferes with access to the battery now, was done at the builders discretion. So the difficulty of accessing the battery for service is a decision the builder made.

You are merely a recipient of that decision.

YMMV - But I bet the original builder didn't like it either when he/she became the maintenance "officer"!

HFS

Mine is in the same spot as yours, and I have the lower panel blocking it. I can attach a charger without much trouble, just have to do it by feel. Still, I would like to move the battery to the forward side of the firewall on the shelf above the rudder pedals. I want to do this to gain a bit more useful CG envelope.

I do worry about the heat there, and what it will do to the battery. I cannot open my oil door easily on a hot engine to help the heat escape (hidden latch). But it seems it has been a successful location for many, I just wonder if they all pop their oil door after landing.

Here's what I'm doing on my RV-3B project. I'm using the 680C battery from EarthX.

Battery Latch Rev A S.jpg

No, this isn't the actual battery. They sell empty shells for trial-fitting.

The hatch is hinged at the bottom and uses the top hinge-pin to secure it. The pin comes out forward.

I chose this location for good space utilization and a cooler environment than FWF. I didn't want it in the cockpit.

Dave

Where to put a battery in an RV-4

Hi everyone,
My battery is mounted between my knees and behind a vertical console making it next to impossible to access (former builder's idea, not mine). Now that I'm totally redoing my panel I'd like to move it forward (I plan to buy a smaller, lighter Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery). Suggestions for the best, easiest to access location? On the engine side of the firewall? The aft side of the firewall? Up high? lower? On the engine mount?

Ah, the things people do to their airplanes! :rolleyes: And what one has to put up with after they acquire said airplane!

I wanted my (heavy lead) battery as far forward as possible to compensate for having a wooden prop but also a Landoll balancer. It is mounted on the floor, foward in the "tunnel". I also needed space to put a radio, TPX, intercom, fuel system gauges, switches and circuit breakers that would be handy. And also a place to put......what were those things called.....? Oh, yeah: charts! ;) I designed and built a stand-alone center console that is held in place by 4 bolts, 7 screws and 5 quick-release electrical connections with two antennae connectors. Takes less than 5 minutes to pull out giving access to my far-forward battery. I also have a quick-connect terminal on the port side of the tunnel for charging the (heavy ;)) battery without removing the console. I really like my setup. I have flown behind this panel for over 1100 hours and the only thing I have recently changed was to put a Dynon where the RMC mUcomputer was (upper panel) and replace the (very antiquated) Trimble GPS with a remote iFly 740b. The 6 panel instruments are mounted on a shock-absorbing removal panel that I can pull out and modify without disrupting the entire panel.

My W&B turned out great and, with just me and full fuel, the elevators are perfectly lined up with the horizontal and trim is neutral. I have packed a 190 pounder back there, which was interesting, but no freaky control changes, other than a pretty light elevator! What would I change? Nothing. Long live steam gauges!!

The front office photograph was taken MANY years ago. Not much has changed except as above and the hours on the tachometer!:) And the throttle and mixture nobs are painted!

Attachments

• img833.jpg
    img833.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 95
  • img704ac.jpg
    img704ac.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 110
Here's what I'm doing on my RV-3B project. I'm using the 680C battery from EarthX.

View attachment 45257

The hatch is hinged at the bottom and uses the top hinge-pin to secure it. The pin comes out forward.

I chose this location for good space utilization and a cooler environment than FWF. I didn't want it in the cockpit.

Dave

I love it! Also love the simple and light weight “ battery box “ installations that come with the new battery technology.

Hi Everyone,
Excellent and welcome advice by all. I really like David Paule's installation since I will tend to worry about putting the battery in the heat of the engine forward side of the firewall. Is there a legitimate worry about a lithium-iron battery in the heat? I deal with lithium ion batteries at work and we've had several serious fires, partially due to heat but also overcharging.
On the other hand, I haven't read of any issues. How come no one puts the batter on the aft side of the firewall?
Regardless, thank you everyone for the replies.
Mike

Not necessarily the "best location" but I don't have a center console, and the battery is mounted under the panel where the fire extinguisher is mounted:

IMG_0481.jpg

Edit: There is one really good advantage to having it accessible from within the cockpit, and that is I can take the panel off and use a jump-starter. I haven't needed to, yet...

Last edited:
thank you everyone. nothing beats input from those who've done it. FYI, I have a heavy metal prop but plan on going to a lighter fixed pitched soon, plus I'm totally replacing the panel with the Dynon system, all these changes affecting the CG so moving weight forward will be necessary. flywheel weights? next question will be after the CG is done asking for opinions on how to move weight forward I'm sure. thanks again everyone. invaluable!

Mike in Colorado

View attachment 45257

Dave
SADLY DAVE ….that will NOT-work on the RV4 …..great idea but dimensions are different…..I didn’t believe it until I tried

Back