What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best landing technique

amekler

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm still trying different ways to land my RV-10.
What does everyone recommend?(speed/flaps) Most of the time I have 350 lbs(2 adults) up front and about 50 lbs of baggage)
Also what do you recommend flap setting on takeoffs?
Alan
N668G

This is how I land my RV-10

For takeoffs: 0 degrees of flaps.

For landings: No passengers in the back, max flaps = 1 notch down.

Passengers in the back, full flaps.

Over the numbers at 70kts.

If you consistently fly with no one in the back, I recommend you have 25-50lbs of ballast in the baggage compartment or on the floor in the rear.

I have 350 hours and 400+ landings on my RV-10 and find it to be very easy to land well (as long as you don't carry too much speed into the flare).

bruce,
do you carry any power or are you at idle. my problem seems the nose wants to drop right after the mains touch .
alan

I use almost full up trim..

...landing with one or two up front and have no weight in the baggage area.

Yeah, the nose wants to drop after touchdown, so let it. Even with full aft stick with both hands, you can't hold it off very long with full flaps, as I almost always land it.

Best,

RV-10 landing technique

I usually am at idle into the flare and some times use just a hint of power to soften the touchdown.

I find that I need to have trim at neutral or just a bit up for most landings to make the stick forces acceptable.

Back