What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best handheld, esp. transmit?

rv6n6r

Well Known Member
Patron
My emergency backup radio is a King KX99. I had a NORDO event a while back and while RX was fine, I was barely able to communicate (TX) with the tower even from directly overhead at 2500'. This was using an antenna adapter that allows me to connect the handheld's BNC to the belly-mounted antenna.

I'd like to upgrade but wondering how much better other handhelds might be. The KX99 specs at 1.5W output, others such as Sportys' PJ2 advertise 1.8 - is that enough? From what I read, most handhelds are good for 5-10 miles tx and maybe more with ship's antenna. Maybe my radio is just old but in any case, I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade and with what. Extra credit for anyone who has used one with a ship's antenna.

My emergency backup radio is a King KX99. I had a NORDO event a while back and while RX was fine, I was barely able to communicate (TX) with the tower even from directly overhead at 2500'. This was using an antenna adapter that allows me to connect the handheld's BNC to the belly-mounted antenna.

I'd like to upgrade but wondering how much better other handhelds might be. The KX99 specs at 1.5W output, others such as Sportys' PJ2 advertise 1.8 - is that enough? From what I read, most handhelds are good for 5-10 miles tx and maybe more with ship's antenna. Maybe my radio is just old but in any case, I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade and with what. Extra credit for anyone who has used one with a ship's antenna.
Difference between 1.5 and 1.8 watts is zilch. Either your transmitter is broken or the connection to your antenna is broken.

A large pilot supply retailer just had an interesting blog/video on handheld radio performance. They seemed to have pretty good performance at 10+ miles on multiple radios. I’ll DM you a link. Obviously they’re trying to sell stuff, but might be worth reviewing. I have no connection to them.

They also sell a switch that goes inline with you ships radio antenna. I’ve not used one. I’m sure that some of our experts here can opine on performance or signal degradation of a device like that.

Last edited:
Difference between 1.5 and 1.8 watts is zilch. Either your transmitter is broken or the connection to your antenna is

I also think something must be wrong with your radio or antenna connection. Do you have good batteries? My handheld will work similarly with low batteries. Receive OK but transmit takes power. I have been able to use a handheld for many miles as long as it has a different antenna and good batteries.
The "rubber ducky" antenna is good for about 25 feet (exaggerating of course but still relatively short range) .

Keith

Back